Apartment housing?

Firemonk

Arachnopeon
Long time lurker, just made an account

here’s the gist of what I need to know, the apartment I want to move into says they allow pets with one big fat
That says that there an allowance of two cats/two small - large dogs (or one of both) but they never responded to my email inquiring about my 1T and other assorted species (only 2 small spiders)

I just wanted to know if it’s safe to assume that they allow them as long as I keep them in their respective enclosures?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
You would really need to see them but honestly I can't see why not they take up less space and don't smell like cat or dog and apart from urticating hairs they don't cast either lol

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Let's say that if nothing (about T's, inverts/etc) is written in the rules/contract/whatever, this fact alone is already a good news.

Besides, let's be honest, is anyway incredibly easy to "hide" a couple of enclosures, if needed. Granted, if someone has 100/150+ T's, now it's another story, but this isn't the case.

Minty

@londontarantulas
The reason most places have these rules is because of damage they can do to the property. Tarantulas can't damage the place, even taking escapes into consideration. Just go for it.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
One thing to think about is most apartments spray monthly for pests. You dont want any over spray to get on your tarantulas if some random worker comes in spraying everywhere.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You really shouldn't assume anything. On the one hand, a tarantula is not going to pee on the carpets, chew up the woodwork, or cause other damage to the apartment, the way a dog or cat can. On the other hand, though, some people are naturally afraid of spiders - particularly big ones - and don't want them anywhere near their property. With an apartment, there is always the risk of liability in the unlikely event that your spider got loose and bit another tenant. Even though the spider is normally kept locked in an enclosure, you can't absolutely guarantee that it won't get out. After all, how many reports do we see here on AB of people saying "Help! My OBT escaped, and is roaming around the house!" or "How can I find my Pokie that got out last night while I was feeding it?"

Also, there is the potential for escaped feeders. I am very conscientious about keeping my pets safely locked up, but it is not uncommon to find an escaped cricket in the shower or climbing up the bathroom wall - and there have been a few times where my kids were unpleasantly surprised by an escaped roach. Most apartment managers do not like the idea of anyone bringing bugs into their apartment, because they don't want you to launch an infestation - and to the average person, there is no difference between German cockroaches and dubias or other feeders or even pet roaches. A roach is a roach is a roach.

Another consideration with an apartment is the risk of pesticide exposure. Many apartment buildings spray for pests routinely, at least in hallways and common areas and around the perimeters of buildings, and some will also spray inside the units. You need to know if this is something that might happen at this new building, because you wouldn't want your pet to be poisoned.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Tricky question and there are 3 ways to proceed.

You could be upfront and honest. My lease is the same as yours, but I was very upfront about having a pet Blue tongue skink when I signed and very lucky to have an interested landlord. My landlord was ok with it and when I asked about expanding my collection of animals, his only two rules were nothing escapes and my apartment doesn't smell like a jungle. To that end, I do constant cage upkeep and I keep my animals in a secured second bedroom (screen on the vents, and sweeps on the doors). That being said, I would never keep something potentially life threatening (certain scorpions, hot snakes, etc) in an apartment, even if I was 100% sure of containment.

What others have done in the past is ask about aquariums. You dont have to be specific about what you'll be keeping in them, just get the OK to have the little plastic or glass boxes.

Or just dont tell them....

All 3 options have worked for people in the past.

Thanks,
--Matt

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I assume that my pets count in the same category as other small animals in tanks/cages, so that's the thing I'd ask about if it wasn't clear in the rules. My housing association doesn't count small pets in enclosures under the two pet limit. It's not unusual for places to take that view, but you can't be sure without asking.

Firemonk

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all of your input on this, I’ll call the guys up and ask about aquariums and not specify what’s in them. If that doesn’t work I’ll just sneak them in or something

Really forgot how active this community was

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ask about the spraying for pests! Is it a housing where they are regulary spraying, and they cannot make any exeption, i would never get tarantulas there if i where you! Invertabrates are extreamly sensitive for those kind of things! They may die!