1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything you recommend i should get

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Wolfspidurguy, May 11, 2018.

1. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey any suggestions I'll take anything Ts, true spiders, ext. Right now I have:
    Aviculara aviculara
    Brachepelma albopilosum
    Two emerald jumpers
    Giant Desert hairy scorpion
    Woodlouce spider
    Stone centipede
    And a pale green assassin bug

Oh and try not to be to pricy please

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. EulersK

EulersK Arachnumerical Staff Member

At the risk of detailing the thread into non-tarantula speak, you should think about starting an isopod or springtail culture. I personally love my springtails. They breed like mad, they're dirt easy to care for, it's quite fun to feed them (try and overfeed, its impossible), and on top of that they're actually functional as a cleanup crew for your humid exotics.

Failing springtails, roaches are a lot of fun, too. @Hisserdude usually has some great roaches for sale.

3. Wolfspidurguy

Maybe I should get some spring tails for my assassin bug so I don't have to clean the carcasses out of its enclosure and maybe some for my b albo so if it doesn't finish a cricket I don't have to uproot it's burrow

• Like Like x 1
  4. RonnyT

RonnyT Arachnosquire Active Member

Canada
    Nhandu chromatus

Psalmopoeus species

Caribena versicolor

5. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

38E44CFD-C22F-451E-B397-554EB10371A6.jpeg You’re seriously missing some Mantids! Fantastic predators, unique personalities, and dirt cheap + they aren’t venomous so shipping is far cheaper than tarantulas etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

I like my Wood Roaches, I'm not sure if you have a similar species in the states though.
    Just recently I started keeping the larvae and beetles you find in tubs of live food from time to time. They are a species of "Flesh Eating Beetles" which sounds shocking but in reality it just means they eat meat. They are surprisingly curious and active little things, even the larvae are very active. I first added a chunk out of a can of gourmet dog food which the beetles took to straight away, then let a small piece of chicken semi dry and added that which has lasted for over a week. Museums and taxidermists use them to clean bones, taxidermy sites seem to be the best source for information.
    The springtail colony is probably the most sensible idea, if you were to have an isopod colony too you could possibly sell "clean up crews", people look for a source of pesticide and parasite free clean up crews for the enclosures of many animals.

7. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    If you want a tarantula. I'd suggest Grammostola pulchripes. So far mine has been a pretty good eater, has gotten some good size gains from molts, and I got it for $10. Also, they're typically described as docile and a good beginner t. Nhandu chromatus is also very cool, though they're a lot more skittish and a little defensive ime. But gosh darn, I'd lie if I said they aren't one of the most beautiful tarantulas imo. I also got this one for $10.

I also second the suggestion of roaches, I actually really enjoy my dubias and am planning on getting some hissing roaches or something. Roaches are very interesting and some species are actually really pretty.

Also, mantis. You need one.

You could probably find some Dynastes tityus larva for $10 or $15 if beetles are something that interests you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I support the mantis movement.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    I recommend any Euathlus Sp.

10. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

I had to look up Dynastes tityus, I remember my brother and used to catch Rhinoceros Beetles and a teacher in primary school let us keep them in a long fish tank in the classroom. I haven't seen any for years!
    That would be a good choice!

11. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Vinegaroon. Definitely a vinegaroon. I've got a Mastigoproctus giganteus and so wish I had bought one years ago.

Also a mantis. Short lived but so incredible to have around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince

Unfortunately I'm all but leaving the hobby, already got rid of most of my species. :(

• Sad Sad x 1
  13. Lokee85

Lokee85 Arachnoknight Active Member

Well, @Wolfspidurguy, where are the wolf spiders? ;) You need new ones in your life, and luckily you can catch them yourself, so free! Get out there and getcha some!

Other than your obvious need for new wolfies, however, I'd say B. vagans, G. pulchripes, N. chromatus, and C. versicolor. All great tarantulas to have, beautiful, super easy husbandry, great eaters and fairly fast growers. And they're inexpensive, with the versi having the highest price tag, but still reasonable if you find the right seller.

Edit: Also, what about an ambylpygi? Not sure if I spelled that right, but they're so cool.

14. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Arachno-heretic Arachnosupporter

The Lasiodora species of your choice, LPs and LDs being most common. Consider Klugi or fracta as well as the others. Gotta have one.

Any Pamphobeteus species. They're drop dead gorgeous and the husbandry isn't that bad.

I personally have L klugi and P sp machala. Gorgeous individuals. I have a photo thread where they're at.

15. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnoknight Active Member

A. geniculata or P. cancerides if you want personality loaded eating machines that get large. Never put hands in the enclosures though, they think everything is food. I love my cancerides so much I had to get another one. For an arboreal I absolutely love my Iridopelma hirsutum, care is similar to avics and they are gorgeous. Blue Death Feigning beetles are long lived, easy to care for and hilarious to watch. I have a mixed tank of them and various darkling species and they are very entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    Scolopendra dehaani or Scolopendra subspinipes

17. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    While they're probably the most available centipede, they're not exactly the best starters into the pede world. I'll let @Staehilomyces take it from there.

18. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

Yeah, you'd be better off starting with S. polymorpha, S. cingulata, S. heros or Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (preferably the blue-ringed variant).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    1 Get plastic enclosure with smooth inner surface that is 2x the centipede length
    2 Dump centipede in enclosure
    3 NEVER touch centipede
    ?????

BTW, THIS @Staehilomyces GUY TOUCHES HIS CENTIPEDE
    :troll:

@Greasylake Yeah, you're right. OP is from the US so, as @Staehilomyces mentioned, polymorpha is a good beginner that's also likely readily available to him.

20. Wolfspidurguy

wolfers are my forte and i catch all mine wild. i just havent had time recently and my H carolinensis just passed away

• Sad Sad x 1