Anything on a tarantulas stung by a tarantula wasp?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
DO these big evil wasps have any predators? Food chain in ocean will eventually collapse when sharks are gone. Well evil is maybe overstatement, they are like a spiders weakness. Makes me not beilive in evolution or the spider would have a defensive way of winning.
The Roadrunner is a predator of Pepsis wasps in the SW USA and into Mexico.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
+1 these wasps are huge and apex predator of the bug world. Lay eggs inside and let the spider live .
Unless he caught it prior to egg laying wich is like hard to know. If it’s infested and starts to die put it back outside. Or something no need for a captive T hawk to bite you & sting Haha.:clown:
Check out the ravine trap door spider Cyclocosmia truncata, they have a hardened abdomen so they can just block their tight tunnel with the hardened plate and the wasp can't get to them!

JackieB

Arachnopeon
I actually study parasitoid wasps and yes they are brutal. There is a great Youtube video called "Wasps are the worst."
1) Hawk wasp refers to a tribe of wasps and could be several different species. Wasps often have very specialized venom and that can effect what happens to their victims. We dont know a lot about how their venom works but some suppress the immune system too and can leave an escaped spider open to other infections. Arthropods fall victim to fungus a lot so this can be a risk.
2) Hawk wasps lay their eggs outside the spider and the larva drill in to the abdomen. Check for a hole in the abdomen and you can possibly see if the egg hatched.
3) lady bugs have been known to go through the entire wasp infection and survive. So it happens.
4) irony is rich because wasps biggest threat is... other wasps. Nature abhors a vacuum and no one was eating those lovely wasp larva. Hyperparasitoid wasps attack parasitoid wasps.
So, while wasps appear to suck, know they are controlling arthropod populations. We even use them to combat invasive species. They are a neccessary annoyance.

Alycia22

Arachnopeon
I actually study parasitoid wasps and yes they are brutal. There is a great Youtube video called "Wasps are the worst."
1) Hawk wasp refers to a tribe of wasps and could be several different species. Wasps often have very specialized venom and that can effect what happens to their victims. We dont know a lot about how their venom works but some suppress the immune system too and can leave an escaped spider open to other infections. Arthropods fall victim to fungus a lot so this can be a risk.
2) Hawk wasps lay their eggs outside the spider and the larva drill in to the abdomen. Check for a hole in the abdomen and you can possibly see if the egg hatched.
3) lady bugs have been known to go through the entire wasp infection and survive. So it happens.
4) irony is rich because wasps biggest threat is... other wasps. Nature abhors a vacuum and no one was eating those lovely wasp larva. Hyperparasitoid wasps attack parasitoid wasps.
So, while wasps appear to suck, know they are controlling arthropod populations. We even use them to combat invasive species. They are a neccessary annoyance.
Thank you for the information. I do understand an out the immune system I in am trying to build it in my dogs with not over vaccinate and using natural anabiotic’s and feeding raw food. It’s been 7 weeks and he moves and is still weak I have no idea if there is away if building up immune system of a tarantula or even how to control a fungus if things start to go bad and I have no other choice I will try to use colloidal silver I know insects are different then mammals but I’ll try to do what I can to try to save this little guy.

The tarantula is still alive and eating he ends up on his back a lot I’m not sure why maybe a neurological problem idk, but it is possible for a tarantula that has been stung and paralyzed by a tarantula hawk to survive I just don’t know about the long term effects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The tarantula is still alive and eating he ends up on his back a lot I’m not sure why maybe a neurological problem idk, but it is possible for a tarantula that has been stung and paralyzed by a tarantula hawk to survive I just don’t know about the long term effects.
It should be fine now. The wasp venom is meant not to be lethal, only to induce paralysis so the larva can eat fresh meat that isn’t rotting. That’s how the tarantula dies. But since the wasp never laid its egg, and you’re giving it water and food, it’ll make a full recovery, but it’s gonna take a long time.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
It should be fine now. The wasp venom is meant not to be lethal, only to induce paralysis so the larva can eat fresh meat that isn’t rotting. That’s how the tarantula dies. But since the wasp never laid its egg, and you’re giving it water and food, it’ll make a full recovery, but it’s gonna take a long time.
One can only hope it'll make a full recovery..

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/rehabilitating-a-tarantula-after-tarantula-hawk-encounter.309925/