Anything on a tarantulas stung by a tarantula wasp?

Alycia22

Arachnopeon
i have one that was stung a month ago it’s a baby and it’s starting to walk I just don’t know anything about spiders it’s probably not going to make but thought I’d try it does walk but every day I find it on its back. I’m not sure how long it can go with out food I do give it drops of water I’m afraid I’m stressing it out

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I’m reading a book called “The Hunting Wasps” by John Crompton. It seems that at least with other prey stung by hunting wasps (like caterpillars and grasshoppers), they never really recover from the venom, even if they do not have a larva on them. You can try to nurse it back to health, but it probably won’t work.

It’s a really interesting book, by the way.

Alycia22

Arachnopeon
They end up dead by the larvae.
I know but it’s been over a month and it started walking so I don’t think if it laid an egg or it would of came out already. I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. Thank you for your help.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know but it’s been over a month and it started walking so I don’t think if it laid an egg or it would of came out already. I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. Thank you for your help.
Well considering you don't technically know what happened, we certainly don't, thus no one can help you. Never bet against nature, keep us posted.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah shame tarantulas have to worry about these wasps , wish big birds would just eat em all. O well nature is vicious hope they don’t end up killing off what’s left of the species . They eat other spiders too. Hopefully the strong Ts survive enough to not go extinct. Some places decimated wildlife with pesticides, most cities in USA spray enough you never see bigger moth species anymore.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well considering you don't technically know what happened, we certainly don't, thus no one can help you. Never bet against nature, keep us posted.
+1 these wasps are huge and apex predator of the bug world. Lay eggs inside and let the spider live .
Unless he caught it prior to egg laying wich is like hard to know. If it’s infested and starts to die put it back outside. Or something no need for a captive T hawk to bite you & sting Haha.:clown:

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
As long as the wasp doesn't lay eggs, the t may very well survive...there have been a few people that saved ts from wasps that survived.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I watched a grackle try and eat a Tarantula Hawk Wasp once in Arizona. The bird was never able to eat it. Kept getting stung on the chest and neck. It ended up giving up and looking for an easier snack. I don’t think the wasp made it though. It was pretty beat up by the grackle.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
There was a thread here a month or two ago about someone who had cared for a T by dripping water in its mouth while it was flipped upside down. If it's walking it'll probably be fine but if you want to be careful you could keep it in isolation?

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm sure I have seen a thread or two about people nursing a tarantula stung by a wasp back to health, but it took endlessly long. You need to drip water on its mouth when it's on it's back and you can try giving it cricket soup (cricket guts diluted with water) the same way. Don't worry about stress, that's pretty inconsequential.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you do a search you should find there have been a few threads on here within the last year or so about people who've nursed them back to health.

It takes a lot of time and patience though.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I watched a grackle try and eat a Tarantula Hawk Wasp once in Arizona. The bird was never able to eat it. Kept getting stung on the chest and neck. It ended up giving up and looking for an easier snack. I don’t think the wasp made it though. It was pretty beat up by the grackle.
Cool wonder how big pre-historic spider hawk was . When co2 levels were higher it would eat the birds haha. Or super huge wasp ancestors sounds scary

Good luck hope u save the spider, hope eggs didn’t get in it. Look up more into on the hawk, dono how long til u can tell

Alycia22

Arachnopeon
It’s still alive and does walk but goes its on it back most of the time I still give it water every day.

I guess it got up and is on the side of the tank looks healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Btw the spider wasps (mud daubers, etc.) and Tarantula Hawks (Pepsis sp.) do not lay eggs inside the paralyzed victim/prey, they attach an egg onto the outside of the victim/prey once it's secured in the nest or burrow.

Alycia22

Arachnopeon
Btw the spider wasps (mud daubers, etc.) and Tarantula Hawks (Pepsis sp.) do not lay eggs inside the paralyzed victim/prey, they attach an egg onto the outside of the victim/prey once it's secured in the nest or burrow.
I was reading about that last night.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
DO these big evil wasps have any predators? Food chain in ocean will eventually collapse when sharks are gone. Well evil is maybe overstatement, they are like a spiders weakness. Makes me not beilive in evolution or the spider would have a defensive way of winning.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
DO these big evil wasps have any predators? Food chain in ocean will eventually collapse when sharks are gone. Well evil is maybe overstatement, they are like a spiders weakness. Makes me not beilive in evolution or the spider would have a defensive way of winning.
Of course they have predators, anything that small and squishy will have something bigger that can take advantage. Birds, possibly dragonflies, rodents, etc.. All of these could prey on wasps. Spiders as well, if the wasp miscalculates and ends up tangled in a web.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oh no...not another one not believing in evolution :eek:
Jk ;)