Anyone watch Lost last night? Sp. Ident

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They called the spider that bit those two people to be latrodectus, but I know that was no frigging latrodectus, I was thinking argiope, based on how I remember it looking, but I dont think it had distinct leg sets like they have.

anyhoo... jes curious if anyone identified it.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It was a Nephila sp. That's the same "medusa" spider from Anacondas. It's retarded and I even though I have NEVER missed an episode of LOST, it will be hard to stay loyal to the show after this whole spider thing. The sad thing is that, to me, it seems that the only reason they would throw an episode with a story line in it like that was because they are running out of ideas. I thought the episode started off extremely corny when Nikki was "acting" and karate chopped her boss. This was by far the most worthless episode of the entire show to date.

I mean, I would've been much more satisfied if they at leat put a real widow spider in the jar and he could just hold the jar with an actually widow in it. Hell, even throw a L. sp. Laos in there, that'd be totally believable as a deadly and mysterious spider. Then they could've CGI'ed the spiders on the actors themselves. And the whole Medusa spider story is freakin STUPID, I mean seriously, the whole scent thing with all the male spiders seemingly appearing out of nowhere was nothing short of rediculous!- why couldn't it just be a deadly spider that killed them and they were buried. Why did they write it so that they'd actually be alive, but paralized? Again, it seems the writers are getting a little...no, a LOT desperate here.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It was a Nephila sp. That's the same "medusa" spider from Anacondas. It's retarded and I even though I have NEVER missed an episode of LOST, it will be hard to stay loyal to the show after this whole spider thing. The sad thing is that, to me, it seems that the only reason they would throw an episode with a story line in it like that was because they are running out of ideas. I thought the episode started off extremely corny when Nikki was "acting" and karate chopped her boss. This was by far the most worthless episode of the entire show to date.

I mean, I would've been much more satisfied if they at leat put a real widow spider in the jar and he could just hold the jar with an actually widow in it. Hell, even throw a L. sp. Laos in there, that'd be totally believable as a deadly and mysterious spider. Then they could've CGI'ed the spiders on the actors themselves. And the whole Medusa spider story is freakin STUPID, I mean seriously, the whole scent thing with all the male spiders seemingly appearing out of nowhere was nothing short of rediculous!- why couldn't it just be a deadly spider that killed them and they were buried. Why did they write it so that they'd actually be alive, but paralized? Again, it seems the writers are getting a little...no, a LOT desperate here.
It certainly bothered me. Fact is, this island is nuts. They should have had the spider to be one of the "new species" he has found of various wild life. As opposed to claiming it to be an existing species and using latrodectus. But the real issue here is the fact that this was a terrible episode lol. I can forgive the spider thing, that was just an obstreperous distraction. However, I have not lost faith in the series, I am just going to pretend they had an off week for some wretched George Bush speech, forget this ep ever existed and remain excited for the last few eps of this season:)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last time I watched it, it was the episode where Gilligan began receiving radio signals through a tooth filling. Funny stuff! :D

Jonathan Wilhelm

Arachnopeon
I think thats the last one I saw too. I thought he was using coconut halves as headphones to listen as well.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think thats the last one I saw too. I thought he was using coconut halves as headphones to listen as well.
You may be correct about that. Its been far too long and my memories are fuzzy. I really wish I could remember all that great TV I've seen. :rolleyes: :D

But..not to crap a thread and leave it hanging there. I get p!ssed off all the time while watching hollywood and TV completely ignore the laws of physics, biology and any other science for that matter. At least a decent percentage of bad screenplays envolving scary animals have some sort of "government secret weapon experiment gone wrong and then got out" explaination written into them. If you want to make a movie about piranhas eating scores of middle class North Easterners who live along some river, you're gonna need some genetically altered piranhas ...ones that thrive in colder waters and aggressively hunt large mammals. ...and they gotta be hard to kill. ;)
I could probably think of tons of these crap movies/shows, but two movies that come to mind that I think were complete shat when it comes to "killer" animals are Arachnophobia and Anaconda. I couldnt get through either one.

Its funny because not to long ago I was asked to bring some spiders over to a local shop and give a little "demo" so to speak. There was a guy there with a couple young boys and when I pulled out a latrodectus and opened the container, the guy grabbed his kids and scooted them away and started bitching at me and threatening to call some sort of "authorities" because I was carelessly putting his kids and the others in the room in grave danger! I remained calm..because people are stupid ...and asked him how I was endangering people? He told me that black widows can jump several feet and that many people die from widow bites every year. :rolleyes: {D I couldnt help laughing and really didnt know what to say... so I told him "not this specie" and pulled out another cup, opened it and said "this one can though". :D :wall:
Where do you think people get this stuff from? Maybe Animal Planet or a stupid drama soap like Lost?