1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone still handling Ts?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Anoplogaster, Apr 19, 2017.

1. SpiderInTheBath

SpiderInTheBath Arachnosquire

Scotland
    Advertisement
    I saw that thread later and understood better, hahahaha. No worries here, I'm not often in the business of getting ruffled on the internet ;) definitely check out some jumpers!

• Like Like x 1
  2. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

That is beyond asinine.

That spider almost plummited to its death.

I understand the importance of exposure and education, especially for young people, since they are the ones that will grow up and learn to Value these animals as an important aspect in the world. But what I saw in that video was utter carelessness. There is no reason why that spider should have been placed in such a risky situation.

3. Magenta

Magenta Arachnosquire

Illinois
    In situations like the video @Chris LXXIX posted, I don't think letting the kids handle is the most responsible thing to do. Sure have some Ts in enclosures, but why not let the kids touch and examine molts?

4. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    I used to handle my rosehairs all the time. I got their tanks out and handled them on the floor whenever anyone wanted to see them. I dont handle anymore except to rehouse or clean, but I am honest and admit I used to. I definitely wouldn't let anyone else ever handle my spiders though, and a classroom would have to look through the glass.

5. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnosquire

Touching molts results in me wanting rest my hands on a belt sander.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnoknight Active Member

Utah
    IMO, T handling is okay if you know what you're doing. Random students are not okay, and neither are children. Of course, it should be a very occasional activity. At the moment, I only handle roaches, my praying mantis, and vinegaroon, and those are all rarities.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

its stressful to the animal. it doesnt matter if "you know what youre doing".

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    I'm aware of that, which is why it should be a very rare thing, like I said. Once a year at most, and that should mainly be for rehousing if you don't have forceps (which all keepers should have). However, if you at least know the proper way to handle, you aren't going to physically drop and kill them, just stress them out for a bit.

9. Venom1080

do you handle your fish once a year as well? spiders are the same thing IMO. you most certainly do not know what youre doing if you are rehousing with your bare hands.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    Definitely for a Poecilotheria or any other defensive tarantula, but it's completely possible to do so with many new world tarantulas. I'm not advocating for it, but I'm not saying that people who rarely handle their tarantulas are literally murdering their pets. I would recommend having forceps, but I don't think it's necessarily evil to handle briefly while rehousing or cleaning out an enclosure. Not everything is black and white.
    Besides, your analogy is flawed. Fish can't survive or breathe out of water, and they can't move well out of it either. Spiders can.

• Love Love x 1
  11. Venom1080

tarantulas are look but dont touch pets, like fish. ;) thats my analogy.
    of course its possible... its just selfish, is only for the keeper, and stresses the animal out. its not killing the spider, but its sure not good for them. tarantulas tend to stress curl and hide post handling.
    im saying its dumb to try to prod a tarantula into a new cage with your bare hands. i dont know how youre interpreting it.
    quote me next time plz

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    Yeah, it seems like we might not be really analyzing each other's arguments well and getting confused. I agree that many bugs are look, not touch, and that it's selfish to handle them when it's going to stress it out.

• Like Like x 1