Anyone Know Why My Grammostola Pulchra Is Losing Hair? (NOT from kicking...)

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
They like to lay hairs down around their hide. My A. chalcodes and A. seemanni do that a lot and end up with exactly the same type of balding. I've watched them walk around laying hairs down around the entrance to their burrows.

Viking Warrior

Arachnopeon
She just molted not that long ago, maybe two or three months,
They like to lay hairs down around their hide. My A. chalcodes and A. seemanni do that a lot and end up with exactly the same type of balding. I've watched them walk around laying hairs down around the entrance to their burrows.
Ok, that's good to know. I was a little worried because I've never ever seen her kick hair, not even once, even when I'm disturbing her a bit when I change water dishes etc. She's always super curious, and never defensive. Thanks for the reply.

She just molted not that long ago, maybe two or three months,
Probably will molt in a few months.
I wondered about that myself, but she had just molted about two months ago. I didn't think she'd be ready to molt again so soon. She does have a big abdomen though, and I do feed her two to three crickets once a week, if she's up for it. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My pulchra also likes to kick off some hairs when I’m not looking
A645D47D-E887-4D9F-BF1B-E8CA42180B82.jpeg

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My G. rosea looks pretty much like this. I'd say it's not due for a molt anytime soon, I mean this is a Grammostola we're talking here. Just kicking hairs but not in the way we usually think of "I'm bothered by you," kicking hairs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
because I've never ever seen her kick hair, not even once
Are you saying you constantly record your T 24/7, and watch the entire video all the time? Because if that's not true, then you cannot possibly say 'not' from kicking etc etc...That's like saying you never see a T drink.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That has been kicking, they don't always do it when you're watching.

I've never personally seen my P. antinous, M. mesomelas, or C. cyaneopubescens kick hairs but they all have bald patches.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, a adult spider may kick hair and get a bald patch a month after a moult and moult the next time five years later!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have never seen my A. chalcodes kick hairs and his abdomen is balder than... someone who is really bald.

As was mentioned before, they lay down hairs around their burrow/hide, etc.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Sometimes they'll deliberately lay down hairs, by dislodging them gently enough that there isn't a giant cloud of setae in the air. They do this to line the silk around their hide to protect it from "predators". But in the end, they're still using their feet to remove the "hair" from their abdomens, so it's still a form of kicking.

Viking Warrior

Arachnopeon
My pulchra also likes to kick off some hairs when I’m not looking
View attachment 301159
I guess that's what she's doing, but it's so weird that I've never seen her kicks hairs, not ever, not even once. And she sits on my desk in plain view of me, and I work from home, so I see every time she even moves an inch lol. Never seen her kick a single hair, not even when I prod her out of the way to switch water dishes etc. She must be kicking hairs for no reason while I'm sleeping lol.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I guess that's what she's doing, but it's so weird that I've never seen her kicks hairs, not ever, not even once. And she sits on my desk in plain view of me, and I work from home, so I see every time she even moves an inch lol. Never seen her kick a single hair, not even when I prod her out of the way to switch water dishes etc. She must be kicking hairs for no reason while I'm sleeping lol.
An interesting theory. It’s almost like that’s exactly what’s happening.

Viking Warrior

Arachnopeon
My G. rosea looks pretty much like this. I'd say it's not due for a molt anytime soon, I mean this is a Grammostola we're talking here. Just kicking hairs but not in the way we usually think of "I'm bothered by you," kicking hairs.
Okay, yeah, she must be kicking hairs while I'm asleep lol, because I've never seen her kick a single hair, not once, not even when I'm prodding her out of the way with a straw so I can switch out her water dish... She's never ever kicked hairs in front of me, not even once, and she sits on my desk in full view of me while I work. I work from home too so I see every time she even moves lol. I thought maybe she got some sort of virus or something. Sounds like everybody's telling me not to worry though. Thanks for the reply!

Viking Warrior

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was worried that she had caught some sort of virus or something that was causing her to lose her hair, because I have never seen her kick a single hair, not even once. I work from home, and her enclosure is on my desk in full view of me, so I see every time she even moves an inch. She's never even kicked hairs when I gently prod her out of the way so I can switch water dishes, or clean her enclosure etc. I guess she's doing it while I'm sleeping... I didn't know they do it around their burrows as a defense strategy. That's good to know. Thank you all for your help and guidance. Just glad to know she doesn't have some sort of disease or something. It just seemed so weird that she was losing hair so rapidly all of a sudden, just after a molt too... Anyway, thanks for the reassurance that everything is ok!

Viking Warrior

Arachnopeon
Uh, actually, that IS from kicking
Apparently so... I thought maybe she was sick or something. She had just molted, and all of a sudden she was losing hair really fast, but I'd never seen her kick a single time... Apparently she's doing it while I'm asleep for other reasons...