Anyone know what type of scorpion this is?

Veigar

Arachnopeon

I think it's a Yellow Ground Scorpion... but I always find them on the walls, not on the ground. And they're not very big either, I think the biggest I've seen of these was two inches at maximum

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Centruroides sculpturatus? Centruroides Excilicauda? Very pretty looking thing. Interested to see what others think. (Forgive my spelling...remembering them is hard enough!) :)

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
that looks the same as my centruroides sculpturatus. Seeing them in walls is pretty typical.

Veigar

Arachnopeon
Centruroides
that looks the same as my centruroides sculpturatus. Seeing them in walls is pretty typical.
Are you sure it's that one specifically? I have upon many occasions seen this type of scorpion get eaten by Black Widows out here, so they're quite small. Are Black Widows known to prey on Arizona Bark Scorpions?

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Are you sure it's that one specifically? I have upon many occasions seen this type of scorpion get eaten by Black Widows out here, so they're quite small. Are Black Widows known to prey on Arizona Bark Scorpions?
Possibly. I'd imagine that if a small Centruroides wandered into a widows web it would be game over for the scorpion or any scorpion who ends up entangled and immobile. Black widow venom is highly developed and I don't think any scorpion would survive an invenomation from a black widow.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yes I’m sure.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, C. sculpturatus. Widows catch basically whatever walks into their webs, they aren't that picky.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yes, C. sculpturatus. Widows catch basically whatever walks into their webs, they aren't that picky.
I’ve seen pics of them eating rodents, snakes and lizards. Mine have taken crickets much larger than themselves. Their web is as powerful as their venom is.

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
If @pannaking22 says is Centruroides sculpturatus then thats good enough for me even though it was my first guess, it's always nice to have someone with lots of experience shares their thoughts so we can all learn from it. :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If @pannaking22 says is Centruroides sculpturatus then thats good enough for me even though it was my first guess, it's always nice to have someone with lots of experience shares their thoughts so we can all learn from it. :)
I appreciate the kind words, Jonathan159, thank you :) I made the ID based on range, the OP is in Nevada and C. exilicauda is only found in Baja California. The two species look incredibly similar though, I believe they were considered the same species until semi-recent genetic testing was done that showed they were different.

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
I appreciate the kind words, Jonathan159, thank you :) I made the ID based on range, the OP is in Nevada and C. exilicauda is only found in Baja California. The two species look incredibly similar though, I believe they were considered the same species until semi-recent genetic testing was done that showed they were different.
Well I never knew that either! Thanks for the info :)

THR

Arachnosquire
Centruroides sculpturatus sculpturatus(type ssp). Former name as Centruroides excilicauda.
Another ssp is Centruroides sculpturatus gertschi, with four black stripes on the mesosoma.