1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know if Phidippus purpuratus is found in Florida?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Ratmosphere, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoangel Active Member

Advertisement
    I thought this species was limited to the Northern parts of the USA. I have a seller saying he has one that was collected in Florida. Are they even found there? Is there any data I could find that shows this species is found there?

2. Ratmosphere

It was found in Hernando Co. Florida.

3. Tenevanica

Tenevanica Arachnodemon Active Member

http://bugguide.net/node/view/6789/data

Bugguide seems to think it's only a northern species. Though, Bugguide is based on submitted images, so it's not entirely out of the question that they're in Florida... Just seems unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ratmosphere

True, the pictures he sent me looked exactly like Phidippus purpuratus which was extremely interesting.

5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

Could you please post the pictures here?

If it were found in Florida, I would at least expect to see some finds in neighboring states.

Additionally, the World Spider Catalog gives the range as "USA, Canada."

Perhaps he found a similar-looking species in the purpuratus group? Here is that data for Florida. However, even that seems unlikely, as the only purpuratus group submissions from Florida are Phidippus apacheanus.

6. Ratmosphere

These are his pictures.

IMG_3270.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

7. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    Looks like either purpuratus or texanus

8. Ratmosphere

I figured. Just really cool that they could be found in Florida when there's no records of them there.

9. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    It's amazing how far spiders can travel. ballooning spiderlings can all emerge and blow away with trade winds and end up on new continents

10. Ratmosphere