Anyone know if Phidippus purpuratus is found in Florida?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I thought this species was limited to the Northern parts of the USA. I have a seller saying he has one that was collected in Florida. Are they even found there? Is there any data I could find that shows this species is found there?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
True, the pictures he sent me looked exactly like Phidippus purpuratus which was extremely interesting.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
True, the pictures he sent me looked exactly like Phidippus purpuratus which was extremely interesting.
Could you please post the pictures here?

Bugguide seems to think it's only a northern species. Though, Bugguide is based on submitted images, so it's not entirely out of the question that they're in Florida... Just seems unlikely.
If it were found in Florida, I would at least expect to see some finds in neighboring states.

Additionally, the World Spider Catalog gives the range as "USA, Canada."

Perhaps he found a similar-looking species in the purpuratus group? Here is that data for Florida. However, even that seems unlikely, as the only purpuratus group submissions from Florida are Phidippus apacheanus.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I figured. Just really cool that they could be found in Florida when there's no records of them there.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
It's amazing how far spiders can travel. ballooning spiderlings can all emerge and blow away with trade winds and end up on new continents