1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Keep Microtityus?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by pannaking22, May 13, 2017.

1. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Advertisement
    Just curious if anyone keeps Microtityus. Found little bits of info here and there online, but I'm not sure if it has ever been consistently kept by anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Unfortunately no but seen some pics of Microtityus minimus. They're a pretty cool looking little scorp wish I could get my hands on a few of them.

3. brandontmyers

brandontmyers Arachnoangel Old Timer

Unfortunately I haven't gotten my hands on them but I am very hesitant. Micro is the best adjective for them. The adults are so tiny.

4. pannaking22

I've found little shreds of care info here and there, but I think it ends up being one of those genera that's almost too small for most people to really want to deal with. With all maxing out at under 1/2" (some 1/4"), they would be a bit of a challenge to raise, let alone the super micro slings...

5. brandontmyers

brandontmyers Arachnoangel Old Timer

I know a few people in Europe that have successfully bred them, but these are guys that are the kings in the scorpion hobby. I would love to give it a shot one day, but I honestly do not see them being very common nor in demand. Hopefully a few of us can try our hands at them eventually!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Does their venom pack a punch like other Tityus species?

7. RTTB

Just realized that was a dumb question as their tiny size probably means they may not be able to penetrate skin to envenomate.

8. I never really looked into getting any. Does anyone here have any idea where to get some ???

9. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoangel Active Member

People in Erupoe have all the good stuff lol. A lot of breeders have trouble raising Uroplectus sp. To maturity so I can imagine the skill and knowledge it takes to raise micotityus successfully

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. pannaking22

Just from a little bit of the info I found, they like it dry with plenty of things to hide under. Well, dry substrate anyway because they need the air to be very humid. Right off the bat that's a fun combo. It also eliminates certain small feeders like springtails, which would probably be your best bet for feeding the slings.

11. RTTB

Would be cool to have a communal tank with s hundred or so.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Would love to be able to get some Microtityus some day. I would guess Little Kenyan roaches and fruit flies would be perfect feeders for such small scorpions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. pannaking22

Paratemopteryx couloniana might make another good feeder since the newborn nymphs are crazy small too.

14. Tleilaxu

Tleilaxu Arachnoprince Old Timer

Alrighty those of you who can absolutely must get a hold of these guys, they are too cute. My stripe tail is not much larger than the adults of microtityus.