Anyone Keep A Tarantula At Work?

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
@spidertherapy78 I would love to hear about what you do, your setup, and experience when you have a minute? :)
ooo I feel so popular with people tagging me here! :)

Ok so I have 5 Ts now and they all live at my office. I run my own business. My colleagues either put up with them or like them and the janitorial company I hired has specific orders to only vacuum and empty trash in my little office but not any other cleaning like they would for the rest of the suite. I do surface cleaning myself with a damp rag, no spray cleaners.

They are not on display, they live in a small closet. I'm a therapist and sometimes treat people for phobias so I get them out then (and only one at a time) otherwise they chill in the closet. I open the door when I am in there alone to look at them and open it at night and weekend for air circulation. They meditate with me and help me do my paperwork. :) The office is pretty quiet almost all of the time. I never do maintenance when I am in a hurry because I don't want to make a mistake or lose one.

When I only had one I kept him in the break room but he seemed super skittish- always hiding and running away when someone entered. I would be concerned about my Ts in a space with lots of activity and light. He's much more chill in the new space- (A Anax. I also have MF E sp red, MF G pulchripes, sling E sp red and new addition sling A avic).

Most people who come into my office have no idea they are there! I uploaded an old pic of the little closet. I think there were only 3 then. I turned that shelf on its side. The top of that little shelf is now totally full! I think I have officially run out of room, but my plan is that when my daughter is a bit older we will take the avic home. They both need to grow a bit more first. Also I think my husband is actually phobic but won't admit it to me (because he knows I will want to treat it, I am sure!)

A few other details- I use a space heater for heat. It has automatic settings to kick on when it goes under 74 degrees in the room. I have a room thermometer that tells me the high and low temps for the last 24 hours so I can monitor them. I keep it over 68 and under 75. Our electricity bill can be a bit high because of this. We are in a old building with a rather terrible HVAC system.

There's my wall of text!!!

Attachments

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
ooo I feel so popular with people tagging me here! :)

Ok so I have 5 Ts now and they all live at my office. I run my own business. My colleagues either put up with them or like them and the janitorial company I hired has specific orders to only vacuum and empty trash in my little office but not any other cleaning like they would for the rest of the suite. I do surface cleaning myself with a damp rag, no spray cleaners.

They are not on display, they live in a small closet. I'm a therapist and sometimes treat people for phobias so I get them out then (and only one at a time) otherwise they chill in the closet. I open the door when I am in there alone to look at them and open it at night and weekend for air circulation. They meditate with me and help me do my paperwork. :) The office is pretty quiet almost all of the time. I never do maintenance when I am in a hurry because I don't want to make a mistake or lose one.

When I only had one I kept him in the break room but he seemed super skittish- always hiding and running away when someone entered. I would be concerned about my Ts in a space with lots of activity and light. He's much more chill in the new space- (A Anax. I also have MF E sp red, MF G pulchripes, sling E sp red and new addition sling A avic).

Most people who come into my office have no idea they are there! I uploaded an old pic of the little closet. I think there were only 3 then. I turned that shelf on its side. The top of that little shelf is now totally full! I think I have officially run out of room, but my plan is that when my daughter is a bit older we will take the avic home. They both need to grow a bit more first. Also I think my husband is actually phobic but won't admit it to me (because he knows I will want to treat it, I am sure!)

A few other details- I use a space heater for heat. It has automatic settings to kick on when it goes under 74 degrees in the room. I have a room thermometer that tells me the high and low temps for the last 24 hours so I can monitor them. I keep it over 68 and under 75. Our electricity bill can be a bit high because of this. We are in a old building with a rather terrible HVAC system.

There's my wall of text!!!
That's awesome! My wife also has her own psychotherapy practice, but she is the one that is a bit arachnophobic so there are no Tarantulas in her office. She has come a long way though (from NO WAY! to hey honey, what kind of spider is on our bathroom wall?). Thanks for sharing!

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I never put two and two together ;_;
But Sam is a pretty common name, so I don't feel too bad about not figuring it out
I wouldn't have expected you too. I also have a cycling channel (that has pretty much died and is generally pretty boring now that I look back at it). Surprise: its called CyclingSam.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I wouldn't have expected you too. I also have a cycling channel (that has pretty much died and is generally pretty boring now that I look back at it). Surprise: its called CyclingSam.
Aw snap I thought it was called BasketweavingSam :troll:

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
I would go with a GBB sling. Watching it grow is both less intimidating for arachnofobics, as well as interesting to follow. GBB slings are also very beautiful and change colour when they grow. And the Webb is amazing. Also you should give it a really cute goofy name. ;)
My vote is for naming it Noodles

boina

Lady of the mites
So your boss said it was fine but your coworkers didn't agree? How about screw them? If your boss said it was fine then it's fine bruh.
It doesn't work like that :). If you work together with people those people need to be comfortable coming to work, too. There is at least one person who is seriously arachnophopic - like running screeming out of the room if there's so much as a picture of a spider. Other than that I like working with her, though, and I work in a generally very harmonic and pleasent team. I'm not going to ruin that just because I'd like a T at work.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
It doesn't work like that :). If you work together with people those people need to be comfortable coming to work, too. There is at least one person who is seriously arachnophopic - like running screeming out of the room if there's so much as a picture of a spider. Other than that I like working with her, though, and I work in a generally very harmonic and pleasent team. I'm not going to ruin that just because I'd like a T at work.
That's Hella mature, considerate and reasonable of you. You are a good person. (Nor being sarcastic btw)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Good decision, my man.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah ah, I'd love to imagine someone that keeps a Theraphosidae in his/her office and all of a sudden jumps out the boss, angry as F-word doing like Jonah Hill with the fish in "The Wolf of Wall Street" :)

Gloria, la la la...

cold blood

Staff member
I got it guys! I could get some justice scales and put a sling on each pan and name them Justice and Mercy! (My wife is over here rolling her eyes at me) :rofl:
I'd go with crime and punishment.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/allstar/2011/dunk/blake-griffin-608-021911.jpg

I am TarantulaSam :shy:
So why is your username here not TarantulaSam?

I was going to ask if your name was TarantulaSam on the cycling site.

Good vid btw, you did a nice job on that.https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/8a/34/07/audience-standing-ovation.jpg

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I'd go with crime and punishment.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/allstar/2011/dunk/blake-griffin-608-021911.jpg

So why is your username here not TarantulaSam?

Good vid btw, you did a nice job on that.https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/8a/34/07/audience-standing-ovation.jpg
Thank you! I think I had registered for Arachnoboards before starting the YouTube channel if I remember right.

I have since created a username on a meat smoking forum and it is TarantulaSam. Haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ah ah... amazing how much nations can differ.

In the U.S there's routine spraying, private spraying, campus spraying, yard spraying (ask @cold blood, lol) and whatnot.

In Italy when municipalities have to spray three (3) public area trees they 'Meh' :-s
routine pesticides might cause bees and various species to go extinct. I hardly see any bees anymore, I can’t find a job so no idea don’t pick a massive T for a desk decoration unless your like higher up.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
routine pesticides might cause bees and various species to go extinct. I hardly see any bees anymore, I can’t find a job so no idea don’t pick a massive T for a desk decoration unless your like higher up.
Unfortunately the U.S is a nation affected by the 'spraying-madness' disease: they routinely spray the hell out of everything and everyone. Also, the U.S, on this issue, is affected by the spray-research stuff so every three/six months they create new products for that task. Madness.

Here in Italy no one give a damn about this and, as result, a lot of people live/reach 100 years.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Unfortunately the U.S is a nation affected by the 'spraying-madness' disease: they routinely spray the hell out of everything and everyone. Also, the U.S, on this issue, is affected by the spray-research stuff so every three/six months they create new products for that task. Madness.

Here in Italy no one give a damn about this and, as result, a lot of people live/reach 100 years.
Policies like spraying poison humans and animals yeah well said . I wonder if mankind will survive the current 6th mass extinction. They say that this time man is wiping out so many rainforest and killing so many sharks , fish . Soon it will be comparible to the last big asteroid strike 90% or so of fish stocks are gone .
It’s like a movie seems so unreal , like Whole forests Burned to ground for a sugar cane plantations or pomegranate. Poor tarantulas prob die too in this process, and countless other species.

USA are making honey bees go near extinction from so much pesticides on crops and city’s.