Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I would never give away a recluse

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

reverejack

Arachnopeon
Was thinking of making a handling video of Loxosceles reclusa or any Loxosceles species in general, but unfortunately don't have any specimens available where I live.
I'm wondering if anyone has some spare recluse around, and, if you already have enough specimens, possibly send me one?Hehe, I know it's a long shot, but still, have never seen a real life recluse and really want to.Not even sure if anyone here is even where they can be found lol...
(PS, if the video does get developed, the supplier of the specimen will get the credit =D).

Thanks for any replies!

reverejack

Arachnopeon
Why would you make a video about handling a spider you have never seen before?
Eh, because I don't live in the range and want to make some observations and a video (Well I'm actually in the basic range, but I'm too close to the coast to find them).

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
So you want to handle a spider that, while reluctant to bite, has toxic venom with necrotic effects. All without prior experience. Alrighty.

Good luck. Ken the bug guy is selling them.

reverejack

Arachnopeon
I have much experience with handling spiders.Any spider in this country, if you don't provoke it, will not bite, and this is even more true with Loxosceles reclusa.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Any spider in the world is unpredictable and a risk to bite. This risk you take with a bite is even bigger with Loxosceles species. You may handle one 99 times without incident and take a bite on the 100th. I don't handle mine - I don't see the benefit outweighing the risk. But that's me. Again, Ken is selling them. Good luck.

reverejack

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I'll check out his listing.I just like making video's of handling spiders, and Loxosceles reclusais one I really want to do.

EDIT:Gahh, 10 bucks...

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
<edit>, I'll agree but when you don't live in their range it's the only way of getting some. You could even ask Ken if he has any gravid recluses. Maybe you can raise your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I have much experience with handling spiders.Any spider in this country, if you don't provoke it, will not bite, and this is even more true with Loxosceles reclusa.
This is about as foolish as you can get. "if you don't provoke it, will not bite, and this is even more true with Loxosceles reclusa species" It is also completely untrue.

You clearly do not have much experience with handling spiders, or you would never have said such a statement about such a nervous skittish species; one that packs a punch. *SMH*

reverejack

Arachnopeon
Kenthebugguy has some for sale. $10 is a little pricey, I'll agree but when you don't live in their range it's the only way of getting some. You could even ask Ken if he has any gravid recluses. Maybe you can raise your own.
I guess I'll do that.I'm going for gravid >:D

Fulene

Arachnopeon
OMG! You must be insane. We have recluses coming out our ears here in Oklahoma, but I would never sell one. Make NO MISTAKE about this: the bite is a serious matter. The necrotic wound can last for weeks, even months, with the risk of secondary antibiotic resistant infection. ( Amputation anyone?) My brother was bitten by one. Yeah, do you want to feel cool or what?

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
you are a fool. animals are not robots, and very much so have a mind of their own. you dont stab yourself just to hope you dont die, you dont shoot yourself, then why would you risk death just to make a video? people are just so ....

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I detect a slight disjunct here: You know all this, but you've never had a recluse before?

---------- Post added 09-14-2013 at 11:13 AM ----------

There is a serious question regarding the wisdom of transporting a spider with a "medically significant bite" outside it's normal range. I was faced with that decision about recluses (by coincidence only) several decades ago. The major concerns were, "Would I or anybody I transferred them to be able to control them well enough to prevent accidental escapes?" "Would I want to take a chance on accidentally introducing a potentially dangerous species into a new area?" "Would I want to go down in history as the guy who was responsible for establishing a dangerous pest into my area?" "Would I be willing to risk the potential law suits if it became known that I was responsible for their release and someone got hurt?"

All recluses I've ever possessed or seen are still happily alive or dead in west Texas!

Seeing a spider is not the problem. It only becomes a problem when it disappears!
-- Unknown

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Mod note

Seller + price = ad. We have classifieds for that very reason. Please use them and do not discuss those two elements in conjunction outside of them. Thank you.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
We don't need to be so pedantic about things. If someone wants to handle a dangerous animal, if you feel it is needed, make the hazard known and move on. As for the potential for Loxo to goof your life up, AB is full of threads on exactly that. Personally I'm more interested in the OP undergoing close proximity jaunts with them and posting logs of the activities. Maybe label them 'Dicing with Disfigurement, day 1' and so forth just to give a clear hint to others this isn't the brightest bulb in the light factory.

Last edited:

reverejack

Arachnopeon
you are a fool. animals are not robots, and very much so have a mind of their own. you dont stab yourself just to hope you dont die, you dont shoot yourself, then why would you risk death just to make a video? people are just so ....
That was mean...Of coarse animals are not robots, I never said such a thing!(And no, I would not be risking death, considering there has not been one confirmed death from the bite of a recluse).

Fulene

Arachnopeon
That was mean...Of coarse animals are not robots, I never said such a thing!(And no, I would not be risking death, considering there has not been one confirmed death from the bite of a recluse).
You might be risking amputation and you'd definitely be in a world of hurt in any case, but to each his own..................!

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
no but you make the spider seem predictable. the only thing really predictable is a robot, as the functions are programmed and hence can be predicted. they have quite a nasty bite. it might not kill you but having no arm sure wont be a fieldtrip for your life.