Anyone ever tried housing aphonopelma seemanis together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenGoblin

Arachnopeon
One has went into a burrow and webbed it shut its about to molt and the other one has moved into the burrow next to it and for the sake of anyone else I wouldn't suggest them to try what I'm doing as there hasn't been any real scientific research done on them being communal. Snapchat-764583079.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
there hasn't been any real scientific research done on them being communal.
research is done to determine unknowns...this isn't an unknown.....so there's little point in doing research on it.....its like doing scientific research to determine whether water is really in fact, wet.

Harry Haller

Arachnopeon
research is done to determine unknowns...this isn't an unknown.....so there's little point in doing research on it.....its like doing scientific research to determine whether water is really in fact, wet.
Can you please direct us to the information you claim in your post? I certainly don't agree with the OP, but throwing claims all around certainly don't help to provide a valid argument.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
'If it goes wrong you'll just buy a new one.'
This. This is the very mindset people are rallying against. Do you know how long it takes for an A.seemanni to get to the size of yours? Years.
But hey, just throw two in and let's see whay happens right?
:shifty::shifty::shifty:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
'If it goes wrong you'll just buy a new one.'
This. This is the very mindset people are rallying against. Do you know how long it takes for an A.seemanni to get to the size of yours? Years.
But hey, just throw two in and let's see whay happens right?
:shifty::shifty::shifty:
Not to mention that quite a lot of them are wild caught imports, spending days or werks without food or water only to be given a decent home before being eaten by a “tank-mate.”

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
If OP doesnt want to listen, theres nothing more anyone cant do about it. IF he get to be sucessfull, iy wont matter what advise you gave anymore, the infor of he being sucessful will be spread either way.

Anyways, hopefully, within time, OP will realize what really happened in this thread and stop this nonsense communal idea.

Peace. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenGoblin

Arachnopeon
Now that’s a little too close for comfort.
They have enough
Really Mods? This is still going on?
@boina and @AphonopelmaTX made the most clarifying and worrying (respectively) comments here, imo.

If OP doesnt want to listen, theres nothing more anyone cant do about it. IF he get to be sucessfull, iy wont matter what advise you gave anymore, the infor of he being sucessful will be spread either way.

Anyways, hopefully, within time, OP will realize what really happened in this thread and stop this nonsense communal idea.

Peace. :)
Just because you guys don't think it will work and don't believe in trying to learn new things about the arachnids you keep is because you're all stuck on what's put in books or from past experiences but I can't even say experiences because none of you have tried it the ones that came up with the way people keep their t's now were normal people like you and tried new things and neither of you have even attempted to do it but continue to down talk the idea because you "think" it's a bad idea but no one has the ability to say that it won't work how would you know if you never try something and see if it will work if it does I'm going to set up a bigger enclosure and maybe add another 2 but I if it messes with you so bad why entertain it or bother to read the threads

Last edited by a moderator:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
We're worried about the sake of the T's. I don't see this as entertainment and this whole setup has been proven wrong multiple times in the past. I don't find this amusing at all and I just want the t's to be ok and for them to not eat each other.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
No... I would say there's a bit more chance for the Honda to actually work with the diesel than for the two A.seemani to live happily together for the rest of the their life..
No, I wouldn't say that, there's actually 0.00% chance that putting diesel fuel in a gasoline engine will work lol

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
The idea of a helpless tarantula going through molting while a fully hardened T is in the same tank makes me want to barf.

cold blood

Staff member
Can you please direct us to the information you claim in your post? I certainly don't agree with the OP, but throwing claims all around certainly don't help to provide a valid argument.
Are you serious? There isn't research info to prove water is wet or the sky is blue, yet we all know these to be stone cold facts...there doesn't need to be to prove a known fact. Ts have been kept for over 50 years as pets...COUNTLESS numbers of ts, Aphonopelma included, have devoured one another when given the chance, darn near every time...temp housing, divided enclosures, bad decisions...Ts shouldn't have to keep getting munched to prove ts will munch one another...its a known fact to anyone with a shred of experience. Anyone experimenting on such things is merely feeding ts to one another.

And because it hasn't happened doesn't indicate anything...heck my piranha co habs with goldfish for sometimes weeks at a time, it doesn't mean things are gonna last or that the two are communal, it just means the fish hasn't fed yet...same here. Just like the goldfish, the survival of one of these seemani is going to end eventually.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
The OP is missing the point that even if his setup "works" so to speak for a long period of time say a year or two, that doesn't prove anything. It's one instance of aberrant data in a veritable OCEAN of data points that support our facts. Like you can have a statistical anomaly AND IT PROVES NOTHING ABOUT the {set} of data that is at work and clearly demonstrating a trend. So, reiterating the point ad nauseum; you can be successful with your "forced friendship" but if 99 other people were to try it the same way, the data set WILL ALWAYS SKEW to the trend lines and that trend is for 99% of so called communal tarantula 'experiments' to fail miserably. What part of that is hard to understand?

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Are you really serious? Ok, here goes: Tarantulas have been observed in the wild by scientists for decades. They inhabit individual burrows and you won't find 2 tarantulas in the same burrow. I'm sure there have been exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. Look into any textbook about tarantulas. The most comprehensive I know is actually in German by Peter Klaas (you'll find his name reflected in several tarantula names). Besides some advice for keeping he actually details a lot of observations in the wild done over decades - communal tarantulas are not found in the wild with very few anecdotal exceptions, and those exceptions did not ever include Aphonopelmas.

Keeping tarantulas communal has also been tried for decades. There are countless reports about it on the internet and you get even more when you start talking to people. Mostly, it doesn't work. The scientific basis for communal behaviour is also very well explored. I just promised @Ungoliant I'll write something about it but I'll need a few days to collect sources and stuff.

Just because you guys don't think it will work and don't believe in trying to learn new things about the arachnids you keep is because you're all stuck on what's put in books or from past experiences but I can't even say experiences because none of you have tried it the ones that came up with the way people keep their t's now were normal people like you and tried new things and neither of you have even attempted to do it but continue to down talk the idea because you "think" it's a bad idea but no one has the ability to say that it won't work how would you know if you never try something and see if it will work if it does I'm going to set up a bigger enclosure and maybe add another 2 but I if it messes with you so bad why entertain it or bother to read the threads
This post is a perfect demonstration of everything that's wrong with American science education. It is the biggest, most absurd nonsense I've read in a while. I already told you that your "experiment" is without any merits for any other keeper ever, that you are doing something that is scientifically well explored, where absolutely no new "experiments" are necessary or will add anything of value to common knowledge, but you don't bother reading. And you have absolutely no clue at all about the most basic scientific concepts.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
If you’re gonna experiment with a species we don’t really know is communal at least try it with Monocentropus lambertoni or something by breeding a pair and trying to keep a few slings together, but that would be hard to acquire and very expensive now wouldn’t it.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They have enough

Do you think you have discovered something new that professional arachnologists who have spend their lives with those spiders have missed?:angelic: Then you are too pretentious! There are not a single note of A seemanni living in communally in the wild! They disperse as spiderling over an large area and live inside their burrows. Sure in the wild the burrows can be pretty close to each other, so called collonies! But the females never comes in contact of each other. Just becsuse they are pretty close does not mean they are living communally! Comunal living is when many spiders, adult, juveniles and slings share the same burrowsystem, co-op in catching food and acts like one large organism! There are a very few number of Theraphosid spiders doing this. But A seemanni is not one of them! What you risk here is that when they notice each other is atack! Tarantulas are very territorial animals, and females dont like intruders! It can go well for a little while but eventually, they will come at each other!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.