Anyone ever heard of this?

bug2

Arachnopeon
I recently saw a dealer selling what she described as a Chilean Zebra or Chilean Tiger Rump. Does anyone have a clue what this might be? I have never seen anything like it, it is the color of a penny and about 2.5". It does not seem to have urticating hairs, wouldn't this kinda rule out Chile?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Do a search for Acanthogonatus speices that could be a strong possibility, there are a lot of them coming in again.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It doesn't sound farmillar to me...does the dealer have no idea what its scientific name is or where it came from? I would maybe browse through the picture gallary to see if anything looks like it or maybe run a search of that common name.

Waryur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To be very simple
Chilian Zebras look ldark with white markings
Chilian Tiger Rump looks like a black T with lots of orange, ask the guy which one fits it best.

For you look up google, or any major dealer that has a picture thread, try e-spiderworld.com or botarby8s.com they both have a good picture pages.

These are the ones yo uwant to look up

Aphonopelma seemanni, Costa Rican Zebra
Cyclosternum fasciatum, Costa Rican Tigerrump

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tigerrump is bronze but you can't miss the stripes. Ask if it is a solid color or are there dark stripes on the abdomen.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't understand why tarantulas always seem to lose their IDs on their way into the states. You'd think their country of origin would at least be on their boarding pass. I bet they lose those too though.

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its really funny to see the names that Pet stores come up with these days...anything to make a dollar i guess....I would listen to FryLock he wouldnt steer you wrong !

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
heard of this?

It could be a chilean copper Tarantula, They come in w/ the rose hairs sometimes , neat spiders, top size for females seems to be about 3+" look alot like juv. rosies but lacking the pink on the carapace, generaly have longer more oblong abdomens, slate blk carapace, the mature males are usualy about2.5-3" w/ large tibial spurs for such a small T, and real fluffy orange hairs, almost the same color as G. cala in full bloom, I think they may be Paraphysa manicata, try that PEACE B.

bug2

Arachnopeon
Think I found it!

I am sure it is not a costa rican tiger rump...I have several. I followed the advice of FryLock and came up with Acanthogonatus tacuariensis. I believe this is what it really is although I cannot find a single decent pic. Any leads??? Thanks for all your help!!

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
The one's we have in the pet trade are sold as A.francki or A.pissii there are a few threads here on them with pictures >Here< >Here<.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
David_F said:
I can't understand why tarantulas always seem to lose their IDs on their way into the states. You'd think their country of origin would at least be on their boarding pass. I bet they lose those too though.
THE number one reason we insist on using those darned scientific names!!!;)

reptist said:
It could be a chilean copper Tarantula, They come in w/ the rose hairs sometimes , neat spiders, top size for females seems to be about 3+" look alot like juv. rosies but lacking the pink on the carapace, generaly have longer more oblong abdomens, slate blk carapace, the mature males are usualy about2.5-3" w/ large tibial spurs for such a small T, and real fluffy orange hairs, almost the same color as G. cala in full bloom, I think they may be Paraphysa manicata, try that PEACE B.
"In synonymy: P. manicata Simon, 1892 = P. scrofa (Molina, 1788) (Schmidt, 1996a: 17)."

These ARE coming in droves right now. I've been snapping them up at $14.99 labeled as "Rosehairs"!:D

Last edited:

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quote Crimson Panther;Its really funny to see the names that Pet stores come up with these days...anything to make a dollar i guess....I would listen to FryLock he wouldnt steer you wrong !
........................................................................................................
I would like to give a little insight here seeing I own a pet store and get a little tired of banter like this,for starters the collector within the country of origin is often not as educated as you would like to think and is unaware of what they are collecting. as long as the description comes close and no one attempts to verify the validity of the contents of the shipment we could end up with anything which results in an intresting box!
remember without the pet trade you just might be sitting in your livingroom with a cow for a pet!
also not everyone in the pet trade is out to steer you Wrong.

thanks for reading and no offense is intended! Wade:)

Last edited:

bug2

Arachnopeon
FryLock said:
The one's we have in the pet trade are sold as A.francki or A.pissii there are a few threads here on them with pictures >Here< >Here<.

Thanks for the pics, they seem to match what I have exactly. I asked the person I bought them from to try to get the scientific name for them and was given the one I posted earlier. The A.francki pics you linked to seem to be the correct one however as they have the abdominal striping where as the pic from google does not. Kudos to Frylock!!! Thanks a bunch!!