Anyone ever created a waterfall inside their enclosure?

JESTERx626

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wanted to create a dream enclosure for arboreal T's.

Blueprint: The back and the two sides will be covered with styrofoam spray with coco or peat packed down; live plants will also be an addition.

What I want to do is create a waterfall that pours down to the bottom of the enclosure.

What I want to know is how do I do that? I'm quite sure i'll need a motor that returns the water to the top for it to waterfall back down again.

Anyone have any ideas?

JESTERx626

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea I think im just gonna get the waterfall pump although im gonna do more research on that and see if it's exactly what i'm looking for.

I dont like the zoo-med or exoterra fake rock waterfalls though, i think it looks real tacky.

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
check in with Robc, you know him, he had a pool for one of his but don't know if it was a said waterfall.

scorpknight

Arachnopeon
I think they sale just the pumps as well but you might be able to find those for cheaper at a different site. And it's possible that you can form your own "rock formation" from plaster, foam board, or expanding foam.

JESTERx626

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think they sale just the pumps as well but you might be able to find those for cheaper at a different site. And it's possible that you can form your own "rock formation" from plaster, foam board, or expanding foam.
yea, i plan on cutting a hole in the back styrofoam piece, and form it so the waterfalls down.

Do you know a good website for those pumps?

JESTERx626

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks bro. Has anyone ever done their own waterfall with the waterfall pump; not the fake rock waterfall product? How did it turn out?

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not trying to nay say, I've actually thought about this too. But have you ever noticed how when you pour water in the cage some T's will attack it like its prey? I've always wondered if a small waterfall like that would just be a constant confusion to them and make it hard for them to zero in on their actual prey. That's the only reason I haven't tried it... seems like an awful lot of work to put into something that I might have to tear down if the T doesn't like it.

JESTERx626

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't know that T's attack water, because im a newbie with slings. Although, maybe the T you mentioned attack water because its in a smaller enclosure?

i'm pretty sure it would quickly realize it's water and it wouldn't be a factor in how they hunt. If I ever setup this enclosure some day, i'll be sure to report my findings :D

ORO

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This was one I built for a Red Eye Tree frog, I use foam back but painted on not covered with peat or coco, I also melt the foam, make less mess than grinding it.

pump is a cheap one from Pet Smart, tubing with holes in it

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oddly I was just thinking about something like this last night while on a reptile supply site.

EDIT: here's a simple solution but I don't know if it's safe for T's

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/backgrounds-and-waterfalls/
I don't think these would be too safe for Ts. I own two of them (medium and large one). Both were used for Basilisks but they have a very open spot in the back that things like to hide in. I think if a T got stuck in there is could be injured or die since this is where the water and pump go through. Also, these tend to get dirty quickly and require regular maintenance.

Something similar to what ORO has done would be easier to maintain and much safer though.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it's asking for trouble. T's sense their whole world via vibrations and you'd be adding a constantly running motor to their environment. Also you've got mold problems that probably will pop up. T's tend to throw dirt or bolus in their water from time to time also so you'll have clogged filters, possibly damaged motors...

I'm not saying you CAN'T pull it off, just that there are many variables to consider and it may be more trouble than you think.

Sand

Arachnopeon
I wanted to create a dream enclosure for arboreal T's.

Blueprint: The back and the two sides will be covered with styrofoam spray with coco or peat packed down; live plants will also be an addition.

What I want to do is create a waterfall that pours down to the bottom of the enclosure.

What I want to know is how do I do that? I'm quite sure i'll need a motor that returns the water to the top for it to waterfall back down again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sand

Arachnopeon
With alot of work it's possible just consider humidity water depth and ease of access to the aquatics for regular maintenance filter chemicals noise levels... exc. . .

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
stop with this goddamn thread resurrection! We don't approve necromancy here.