Anyone else want tiny water dishes?

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
I can’t be the only one who struggles to find itty bitty water dishes for juveniles or just small tanks, right? The smallest dish I’ve found is 3” across and for slings or juveniles or just for aesthetics it’s just too big. I’ve got some soap stone and a table at the next expo so I was thinking about carving teensy water dishes and sealing them with dishwasher safe mod podge but I’d like to see if there’s really any demand for them as it would be a lot of work.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The plastic tops of milk jugs, Gatorade bottles, and water bottles are perfect for tiny water dishes. Want something even smaller? Invert a Monopoly house (though at that size, it may be more trouble than it's worth to keep it filled!)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If there's a Smart & Final near you, they sell sleeves of 1oz condiment cups for a couple dollars. The one near me has 0.5oz as well, but they're just shallower - that is, the diameter is the same.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Idea borrowed from another forum member: candy or chocolate or ice cube tray mold from dollar store or ebay. For a buck or two you just cut out the molds, and you can have a TON of tiny water dishes.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I use tiny bottle caps off of the tops of my coffee creamer and from soda bottles. They're less than an inch across and are fine for my small spooders.

For my larger ones, I've got some small reptile water dishes and larger bottle caps, but I just recently bought some soy sauce dishes that look nicer that I'm going to try out.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
What, you don't have a shrink ray yet? That's how I got my water dishes, I took garden fountains and zapped 'em with my shrink ray.

But yeah in all seriousness any type of plastic cap is perfect. Anything. Ketchup bottle, hot sauce cap, whatever as long as it's all washed out.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Anything smaller than a bottle cap is worthless. They won’t hold enough water and you will be refilling literally every day, especially in winter with heaters drying things out. If the enclosure is so small that a bottle cap won’t fit then these are really small slings. Just moisten 25% of the substrate for these tiny guys and they will do just fine.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
My favorite for my smaller slings is the caps to the 20 oz squeeze ice mountain bottles. They are smaller diameter wise compared to a regular water bottle caps but they are atleast twice the depth. Ps you will be drinking alot of water to have descent amount of them .

Theneil

Arachnoprince
If there's a Smart & Final near you, they sell sleeves of 1oz condiment cups for a couple dollars. The one near me has 0.5oz as well, but they're just shallower - that is, the diameter is the same.
Just to add to this i would expect almost any restaurant supply store to have them. Where i am at the store names would be cash and carry or smart food services (i think its the same thing but with a name change.)

emmy c

Arachnopeon
I use the empty capsules from paracetamol tablets or similar, cut them up into individual little capsules and turn upside down.

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
Someone tipped me off on this awhile ago, but using the ends of 3ML plastic pipettes works really well. They are easily found online very cheap for over a thousand or so pipettes and helps water smaller enclosures accurately.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just mist tiny enclosures - I know, the HORROR!

My Ts don't get water dishes until they are juvies, and then I just use bottle capa or 2oz condiment cups.

Dannica

Arachnosquire
I just bought tattoo ink cups on amazon, didn’t pay attention to the listing, accidentally bought 1000. They work well, but honestly it’s a pain to refill them, so I’ll probably go back to just spraying enclosures when I’m too lazy to properly refill.

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My fave are the caps off the tiny vials slings arrive in... problem is 9/10ths of them already have holes punched in them. Oh well.
Lots of great ideas for small water bowls here. One user here uses tattoo ink wells.... (may have missed if that was mentioned already).