anyone else notice how common avics are in pet stores now

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
idk if its just here in TN but ive noticed avics are becoming more and more common which is sad because there kind of difficult to care for without much research meaning alot of people are probably experiencing SADS. i think it has to do with recent restrictions on rose hairs making them less common

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Avics are very common nowadays, I see like a lot of them at repticon every year, selling for about $25 for adults at cheapest (dead serious). IMO, nowadays all new T. owners just want more in a tarantula than the "standards", making all rose hairs becoming forgotten sadly.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
This isn't new. Avicularia avicularia has been commonly found in pet stores for a long time. In fact, the first T I purchased was my A. avic from a local reptile shop.

SADS is generally considered to be not a real thing. Years ago it was widely recommended to keep avics in high-humidity enclosures and that caused a lot of deaths that were attributed to SADS.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Avics are very common nowadays, I see like a lot of them at repticon every year, selling for about $25 for adults at cheapest (dead serious). IMO, nowadays all new T. owners just want more in a tarantula than the "standards", making all rose hairs becoming forgotten sadly.
i bought my juvie avic for $25 a great price in my opinion

This isn't new. Avicularia avicularia has been commonly found in pet stores for a long time. In fact, the first T I purchased was my A. avic from a local reptile shop.

SADS is generally considered to be not a real thing. Years ago it was widely recommended to keep avics in high-humidity enclosures and that caused a lot of deaths that were attributed to SADS.
yeah ik sads arent real but its an easy way of saying there dying because the conditions they need arent being met

Last edited by a moderator:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They arent very common at shops here in UK. They used to be.

Its a shame that they are removed from habitat in such great numbers and end up in pet shops, where I believe most don't even make it to being purchased.

As for SADS. It should be DDMRADS (Didn't Do My Research Avic Death Syndrome).

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
G.rosea's and A.avics have been the staple of mom and pop LPS here in the states for decades..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah ik sads arent real but its an easy way of saying there dying because the conditions they need arent being met
Using that term is:

1. perpetuating a MYTH, congratulations.

2. an easy way of showing people that you don't know what you are talking about.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
They have been the main pet shop tarantula since I have been in the hobby. My first was an Avic avic named Muffin.

I haven't had any die, and only avoid them because aboreal tanks are a pain to set up (don't want them in Rubbermaid tubs either). I have only raised one from a sling (C versicolor), so I can only comment on that one spider and say it's been easy to raise.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Here in Canada they’re not that easy to come by I was able to find a 2 1/2 female for 40$.
I’ve only seen one pet store that had them and it was hamilton. No one kept up with breeding. It’s too bad bc they’re really cool. I never realized how amazing there colours are.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
They only ever have Avic avics in my lps... In terrestrial setups with sponges in the water dish. I've complained numerous times- even calling corporate on several occasions and was told the enclosures are "veterinarian approved." ::eyeroll::
Then there's this gem: one of the earlier times I was complaining to a store manager about why the set up was wrong and a death trap. I told her the spider was arboreal and she said "No, it's a pinktoe." :banghead:
I just try not to look anymore. Beeline to what I need and get out.