Anyone else keep slugs?

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Now there's an obscure pet that hardly anyone else seems to be into. I love the little guys, but they're terribly messy and cleaning the tank is a pain in the butt. I've had them on coco fiber and pieces of branch from outside to keep it more natural for them since these are WC, but I've been thinking about trying some new things to make cleaning easier. Like changing out the wood for something that can be wiped off like PVC pipe and clay flowerpots. I'm not sure what to do about the bedding though; I was considering using those smooth aquarium stones since they can be rinsed and reused, but they don't hold humidity at all and there might be an issue with that. Any thoughts? The tank needs to be cleaned out about once a week because of the poop, eggs, and food scraps.

These are just the common gray field slugs. I'd be thrilled to have a few leopard slugs/limax maximus but haven't had any luck finding them. Perhaps I should reach out on Craigslist like a weirdo :biggrin:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Never kept them before but like centipedes they are very Moisture dependent. Id get into the roach , scorpion hobby a lot quicker than slugs:biggrin: lol. Do some research, cannot be that hard to learn about care.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Having lived for a few years in the coastal redwoods, rainforest zone, that is truly a bizarre question.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Having lived for a few years in the coastal redwoods, rainforest zone, that is truly a bizarre question.
yeah I didn't know people kept slugs, what the heck do they do? Id rather keep A roach , even Ispods.

The Snark

Old Timer
The banana slug's (slugzilla) three great claims to fame: Snot (mucus) that defies all detergents and solvents in the known universe, is able to eat a large cat turd in less than an hour, and is capable of lessening your life expectancy each time you step on one barefoot or discovering one hiding in your shoe.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How to keep. throw some garbage and yard trimmings in that old terrarium you meant to clean back in 2005. Water. Place in cold damp location. Install slugs. Encourage your cats to use it as a self composting toilet. If your dogs want to use the same convenience, install a few more slugs. Periodically top up with more compostables and garbage.

Last edited:

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I keep em because I think they're interesting and cute, haha. We don't really encounter them here unless you're actively searching for them, so they don't make pests of themselves like they do in some areas.

Usually at least several at a time are always visible in the tank, either cruising around or eating, and they get more active at night after a misting. So it's not like having a pet empty cage as it can be with millipedes or other inverts.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I keep em because I think they're interesting and cute, haha. We don't really encounter them here unless you're actively searching for them, so they don't make pests of themselves like they do in some areas.

Usually at least several at a time are always visible in the tank, either cruising around or eating, and they get more active at night after a misting. So it's not like having a pet empty cage as it can be with millipedes or other inverts.
I used to keep 'em, along with snails, but then I decided I liked snails better, mainly because I was young and snails can be picked up without getting all slimy. LOL

Caseyface

Arachnosquire

I agree! I have one limax maximus that I nearly stepped one whilst doing laundry. I found him irresistibly adorable, did my research, and properly named him Slimax. :) I've have him for over a year now, with no problems...well, unless you count the two escape attempts. (I still have the slime path on my ceiling). I love their little faces and watching them eat.

For his substrate, I actually went out into the woods to collect dirt, moss, decaying logs/branches, some plants, and moss. I mist heavily daily and feed him mixed greens/leftovers from my bearded dragons, and dog food. He's doing well.

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
..my girl had one for a pet last summer :) ..have too say they're such a mess and she was cleaning it almost 4 times a week ..it was a nice pet for her too care for ..and something she could watch but the cleaning part is something this made it not so fun lol

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
The banana slug's (slugzilla) three great claims to fame: Snot (mucus) that defies all detergents and solvents in the known universe, is able to eat a large cat turd in less than an hour, and is capable of lessening your life expectancy each time you step on one barefoot or discovering one hiding in your shoe.

How to keep. throw some garbage and yard trimmings in that old terrarium you meant to clean back in 2005. Water. Place in cold damp location. Install slugs. Encourage your cats to use it as a self composting toilet. If your dogs want to use the same convenience, install a few more slugs. Periodically top up with more compostables and garbage.
Omg I know nothing about banana slugs very interesting.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
They sound like a high maintenance hassle to keep.
Honestly, my Slimax is pretty low-key. I think the difference is what substrate you use. Before I had him in his permanent home, a fully-planted 10gal terrarium, he was in a half gallon with just some dirt. It was a mess...and unsightly.

All I have to do is pick up his poo, which he kindly leaves in piles. (I guess he enjoys his meals in place?) Other than that, I'll wipe the sides down when needed, but with his daily heavy misting, there's not too much.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Just the other day, I was watching a video of some cute slugs and wondering if anyone kept them, lol. I've never ever encountered a wild slug and I doubt there's anywhere I could buy one, but I'd definitely be interested in keeping a few. :)

To be honest, cleaning up after it a lot isn't a turn-off to me. I relish that responsible feeling I get whenever I take care of my other bugs, but my care routine is so ridiculously sparse (feed weekly, clean monthly) that there's not much to do. :p

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
Just the other day, I was watching a video of some cute slugs and wondering if anyone kept them, lol. I've never ever encountered a wild slug and I doubt there's anywhere I could buy one, but I'd definitely be interested in keeping a few. :)

To be honest, cleaning up after it a lot isn't a turn-off to me. I relish that responsible feeling I get whenever I take care of my other bugs, but my care routine is so ridiculously sparse (feed weekly, clean monthly) that there's not much to do. :p
they have a forum..i joined a few years ago to buy my snails .

GingerC

Arachnosquire
A friend of the family just told me they get slugs in the compost pile, so it looks like I'll have a new pet garden slug soon! :p

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

It's bizarre to see people so nonchalant about banana slugs. I heard about them all my life, and when I first got to encounter one - only last year - it felt like meeting a unicorn or a mermaid.

I would probably give almost anything to live DIRECTLY in one of those coastal forests, that's pure heaven to me. Moss and rain and mushrooms and slugs. Can't believe you can be so....flippant about it all. You are living in a paradise few people can dream of, as far as I see it.

The Snark

Old Timer
I would probably give almost anything to live DIRECTLY in one of those coastal forests, that's pure heaven to me. Moss and rain and mushrooms and slugs. Can't believe you can be so....flippant about it all. You are living in a paradise few people can dream of, as far as I see it.
How many times did I cross the Humboldt County line? Drove through Richardson Grove on my way home? Drove down the Avenue of the Giants? Got a chuckle out of seeing tourists picking up banana slugs only to discover the down side to that?
Sometimes one has to give it up before they realize how much they had. Had quite a few blasts from the past on reading your post. Feeling homesick, in a melancholy, I added to my signature for you.

PS The battle still rages. You are welcome to join in if you wish. So very little is left now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richardson_Grove_State_Park

Last edited: