Anyone else keep rats?

Zeez

Arachnopeon
Anyone else keep rats here? I currently have four females and recently adopted two males. Heres my girls.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've got a rat in ma kitchen I don't no what do do.

I've got a rat in ma kitchen I don't no what to do.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have kept rats for years, but did stop for about a year. I just recently acquired three adult males. I love rats.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Oh, heck no.

Rats are one of those species I have to work very hard to keep out of my house.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
I wish I kept them! Probably one of the most unappreciated geniuses.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I had two pet rats in the past. (At the end of a behavioral lab for psychology, we were encouraged to take the rats home with us as pets.) They're easily the best pet rodent. They are smart and fun to play with, and if socialized well, they are a lot less likely to bite than hamsters or gerbils.

However, I don't plan to get any more pet rodents in the near future, because the cage maintenance is a more than I want to do.

lizardminion

Arachnolord
I tried breeding rats from individuals who were "bred for docility and socialized." Easily the worse rodents I have ever kept. Aside from the smell, they were skittish and not very friendly at all.

On the other hand, I've had good luck with mice and gerbils. Sure, I've had mean mice, but when I bred mice and socialized the babies (handled every single day since they were three days old) they were easily the nicest and most outgoing rodents ever. Have also never been bit by a gerbil - and I used to have a colony of 10+ individuals.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I tried breeding rats from individuals who were "bred for docility and socialized." Easily the worse rodents I have ever kept. Aside from the smell, they were skittish and not very friendly at all.

On the other hand, I've had good luck with mice and gerbils. Sure, I've had mean mice, but when I bred mice and socialized the babies (handled every single day since they were three days old) they were easily the nicest and most outgoing rodents ever. Have also never been bit by a gerbil - and I used to have a colony of 10+ individuals.
Yes I've kept Rats ( two males ) my daughter used to have seven all different colours , she loved them but because of her allergic reaction had to get rid of them . Very sociable and clever . We both keep Ts now , and my daughter also has snakes as she has no bad reaction to these as they don't have feathers or fur .

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Late response but yeah I have rats. I've kept them for years, I currently have three. Two young males in an enclosure, and an old male quarantined due to having mycoplasmosis.

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
Rats for 10 years, never gonna keep any other rodent, the only mice, gerbils and hamsters ive ever met were either unfriendly, bity, or skittish, plus hamsters arent social enough for me, currently have two feeder stock babies winston and tango who are all black whith white bellies and feet, half siblings :)

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
I think any rodent can be skittish or bitey depending on a few factors. We have always raised our rats the same (have had 6 to date) all have been males, and only one of them has ever bitten. He bit frequently and hard enough to bleed. One of my partners bites needed 3 stitches.
We recently got him desexed and he is now incredibly gentle with us and the other rats

Zeez

Arachnopeon
I think what I like so much about rats is that unlike hamsters, gerbils and mice, they aren't controlled by prey drive. Rats are predators as well as prey so the prey drive isn't as strong.

I love mine. Unfortunately, since I started the thread, I lost one of my girls. She had developed a huge lump between her back legs. It was apparently blocking her from peeing and vet recommended euthanasia as surgery had a dangerously low success rate. She was 3.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think what I like so much about rats is that unlike hamsters, gerbils and mice, they aren't controlled by prey drive. Rats are predators as well as prey so the prey drive isn't as strong.

I love mine. Unfortunately, since I started the thread, I lost one of my girls. She had developed a huge lump between her back legs. It was apparently blocking her from peeing and vet recommended euthanasia as surgery had a dangerously low success rate. She was 3.
Sorry about your loss :( Maybe a mammary tumor. Females are so prone to them. That's a pretty great age though to make it to for a rattie!