Anyone can tell me what that is...

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi everyone, I obtained this animal a while ago... it was given to me as Paraphysa sp. "purple"...

Anyway, it looks exactly like the animal pictured in Peter Klaas book (english version p. 88, labelled as Ephebopus violaceus, new taxonomy Paraphysa pulcherrimaklaasi) (or the new German edition, p. 86 labelled Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi)...

It is an extremely defensive animal, by far my most defensive new-worlder... threat display and stiking all the time just like an OBT... another interesting behavior is that when disturbed too much, it starts running everywhere, all the time the opisthosoma raised in the air, it is really funny...

I am including two pictures, she did not molt for a while, so you cannot see the purple un the femurs... it is a lovely animal...

Anyone owns one of those and can tell me more...

Thank you

Martin

Last edited:

Steve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,
i think it's not E.violaceus because E.violaceus is Avicularia violaceus now(See Platnick)! And the spider is definite no Avicularia!

In germany you can see some spiders labeled as Paraphysa pulcherrimaklaasi BUT if you compare the spiders optical you can see different species with the label pulcherrimaklaasi. Wait for the next moult and send the skin to a person who can ID it(But i think it's not easy!!)

Regards,
Steffen

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only reason I put E. violaceus is to help find the picture in the book of P. Klaas...

I will try to send the next molt to someone...

Thanks

Martin

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
have no clue what it is, but that sure is a sweet lookin T

laila

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!

I keep what is labelled Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi/Homoeomma sp. "blue".
I have (what I believe is) 3 males, and none of them show any defesive behavior. Actually, they are among the most docile species I have handled!!!

Here are a few pictures, the last one has just molted and shows off his blue femurs:

Attachments

laila

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tarcan, if you could post a better lighted pic, I think that would help.

(On the other hand, I have currently 4 possible species names for these lovely critters.... :? )

And if this is the same species, one of my three males is eager to visit you! ;)

Last edited: