Anybody use Coconut Fibre?

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
I was wondering whether anybody uses coconut fibre as the substrate for their T's and if so what they think of it?

Trinity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, all of my tarantulas have coconut fiber material as their substrate. I really like the stuff and have had no problems with mites, mold, or fungus. I find it holds moisture pretty well for my higher humidity species and it does allow for decent burrowing by my terrestrials.

This is a current thread as well, but it shows that there are lots of others that use coconut fibers:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22249

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
I love the stuff. I am using it straight and have had no problem with mites, mildew, etc. I formerly used a 50-50 potting soil/peat mix.

W

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i used to use it but it dosent seem to keep humidity very well. maybe its just me.---josh---

Quiet-1

Arachnopeon
I have been using it with all of my T's since getting them, and have not had any problems with it.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I still use it for my a.avic... in my case, when the cage is well-ventilated, it loses water gradually like Josh said. But when not being ventilated well, I've had mold problems within a couple days so I had to drill more holes on the bottle holding my g.pulchra slings.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
huh...

I have never tried it because I always heard it was prone to molding.

-Charlie