Anybody keep any Stenodactylus sthenodactylus?

DanJ

Arachnopeon
Anybody ever kept them at all? Not sure how common they are about. Acquired a 20gal wooden viv and plan on getting a couple of females of these.

Hows your setup?

Do you use basking lights or a heat mat (I live in the uk so can get very cold)

The only reason I ask is I'd rather hear off someone that's kept them than read a random care sheet online, and everyone seems alot more helpful here than anywhere else I've seen.

Thanks.

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This species is very common in the deserts of my country.
Are you going to get WC females? They live in sandy areas, that are very hot during the day and cooler at night.
Honestly, I don’t keep any WC reptiles, and I don’t think they will survive more than a couple of months. This is a very fragile species...

DanJ

Arachnopeon
This species is very common in the deserts of my country.
Are you going to get WC females? They live in sandy areas, that are very hot during the day and cooler at night.
Honestly, I don’t keep any WC reptiles, and I don’t think they will survive more than a couple of months. This is a very fragile species...
I have heard wild caught Stenos dont do well in captivity at all. I know they are hard to get aswell, especially captive bred. Most I have seen are WC.

There is a reptile shop that I have found that seem to have had CB stocks in and if my husbandry is up to scratch keeping them alive shouldn't be and issue. Hence why I haven't got them yet, I'm still trying to get all my equipment together and make sure I make they're surroundings as natural as possible.

Sand misted every couple of days just to hold the burrows, 4 hides (one in the hot side, one in the middle, one in the cooler side and one with damp sphagnum moss to help with shedding). No artificial light since they are nocturnal, little water bowl, little bowl with calcium dust... not sure what I'm missing, but the hides will be cork bark so if they do dig under them it wont be heavy enough to crush them.

- anything else you could think of? Obviously I want the best for the Stenos and really dont want to mess up knowing how delicate they can be.

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They usually hang out under small plants at night. Try adding some to you enclosure as well.
They burrow a lot, but make sure that the sand is soft.

DanJ

Arachnopeon
Got some plastic plants to go in, and I'm using kids play sand, best sand for them apparently. I'll post a picture of the enclosure sometime next week when I'm done would love your input since you know they're actual environment.