Anybody have stories of tarantulas molting during or immediately after transit

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had a number of slings molt in the mail and even a couple adults, but nearly all of them made it just fine . If anything I'd assume that the moist environment of the shipping container was a trigger for them, I've had a number of t's start their molt a day after I added another humidifier to the t room.

LittleT

Arachnopeon
Had a couple of new arrivals today and thought of this thread when I saw...

Both are completely fine :)

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
when i ordered my very first tarantulas, a gift Lasiodora striatipes arrived and had moulted in transit. I freaked out as the moult was right at the lid of the vial and I thought the T had died :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Had a couple of new arrivals today and thought of this thread when I saw...

Both are completely fine :)
Very cool pictures! However, it does worry me how those are packed. Much, much too roomy for my liking. Glad to hear they're alright, though!

louise f

Arachnoangel
Very cool pictures! However, it does worry me how those are packed. Much, much too roomy for my liking. Glad to hear they're alright, though!
I had 10 Cyriopagopus hati hati coming to me like that all were dead, such a stupid way to pack spiders.
He send me 10 new ones no deaths weird. :rolleyes::eek::meh: i am not buying from him again.

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
My Oklahoma brown tarantula was already in premolt when it showed up to my house in a box. It was inconvenient because we really didn't get to know the tarantula prior to her odd behavior. I guess we get to see more of her personality after she is done recovering.

My pink toe is being inconvenient because it molted just half a week after. I am new to this. Have mercy, tarantula gods. :arghh:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Not the worst necro by far.

GBB sling moulted in the post, she was fine, I got a bit of a shock when I opened up the vial and found the exuvia in what looked like a death curl though.
Y. diversipes sling moulted the day after arrival, it died about 10 days later.

Matt HC

Arachnopeon
Just got my very first tarantula on friday March 8, 2019. I'm an amateur but have Stan's book. She appears to have molted during shipment, picture included. I emailed Backwater Reptiles and asked of they forfor some reason shipped her with an exuvium. They said no. She seems okay. I just feel bad for her. What a terrifying ordeal to experience while flying from Florida to Tennessee to Washington State. We named her Tiger Lily. Just leaving her alone for right now.
-matt

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Just got my very first tarantula on friday March 8, 2019. I'm an amateur but have Stan's book. She appears to have molted during shipment, picture included. I emailed Backwater Reptiles and asked of they forfor some reason shipped her with an exuvium. They said no. She seems okay. I just feel bad for her. What a terrifying ordeal to experience while flying from Florida to Tennessee to Washington State. We named her Tiger Lily. Just leaving her alone for right now.
-matt
From what I've heard about Backwater Reptiles, you're extremely lucky to have gotten a live T at all

Liquifin

Arachnoking
-matt
Backwater Reptiles is the #1 worst place to buy T.'s at all. They have a horrible reputation.

I just received my first two tarantulas two days ago. One healthy 3" GBB female and one almost 2" Brachypelma Bohemei and the Bohemei definitely molted in-transit. I can see the molt in the packing. She was alive upon arrival and walked around a second In front of me. I went to sleep and she is nowhere to be found for 24 hours now in her enclosure so fingers crossed all went well for her. Let me know what my expectations should be for when I might see her again!