1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any turtles who look like Snappers?

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by Godzillaalienfan1979, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Godzillaalienfan1979

Godzillaalienfan1979 Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    Just wonderin'. Obviously Eastern and Alligator Snappers are waaaay out of my league (still a beginner/intermediate lmao), but I was wondering if there were any smaller, easier turtles who resembled them. Like I know Musk Turtles do to some extent, but that's all I can think of.

• Like Like x 1
  2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

I've said it before. If there was a turtle that looked exactly like an ali snapper but was only 6 inches shell length they'd be ridiculously popular.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

Razorback musk turtles sort of look like small snapping turtles. They got the prehistoric looking scutes on their back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

A tiny bit but not much really. Still they're bonny little turtles though.

5. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I've owned an Eastern Snapper, never seen a turtle that looked like these or an alligator snapper either.

6. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Well apparently it takes the average snapper about 5 years to get to 5-10 inches if the info online is accurate, I also saw another site that said the average 15 year old snapper will be about 12-14 inches. Don't know if it's accurate, but given their slow growth rate you could always just get some experience with turtles in general and then buy a baby snapper. Do your research first though and have a plan for where you can take it if you are unable to take care of it for the hundred years or so that he gonna be alive

7. Beedrill

Beedrill Arachnosquire Active Member

Personally, I'd say your closest visual look alike is gonna be the Musk/Mud Turtle family. It's more in the head than anything else. The shell actually resembles Box Turtles more than anything, but they have almost the same little "angry smile" look that snappers have. They make great beginners as well!