Any suggestions?

Zoey

Arachnopeon
I got my first Tarantula yesterday and was wondering if it would be okay to put my sling in a jar instead of the tiny container? At the shop larger Ts were in jars so i though it would be okay and what about air flow? Do they need any?

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Airflow (cross-vent. is ideal), slightly moist substrate or a water dish, and post pictures of your jar. Right now I’m thinking of a glass jar full of pickles... (i prefer cucumbers).

Zoey

Arachnopeon
That is the little container its in now and next to it is the jar

Attachments

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
First of all, in the container it’s currently in, it is way too damp. You can get away with a corner moistened (not damp). You should be able to see very minimal water buildup on the enclosure walls. I prefer you stick in the enclosure it is currently in. Punch holes throughout the sides and let the substrate dry.
What tarantula species do you have? If possible, list the scientific name.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Definitely do not put it in that jar unless you plan on drilling holes in it.

And you should put ventilation holes in the enclosure it is currently in, like, yesterday. They need ventilation, and it looks way too wet in there.

EDIT: @ccTroi :kiss:

EDITx2: Also, just because the pet shop was doing something does not mean it is even remotely close to okay. Pet shops know very little about T's, and give out loads of bad advice and information.

Zoey

Arachnopeon
First of all, in the container it’s currently in, it is way too damp. You can get away with a corner moistened (not damp). You should be able to see very minimal water buildup on the enclosure walls. I prefer you stick in the enclosure it is currently in. Punch holes throughout the sides and let the substrate dry.
What tarantula species do you have? If possible, list the scientific name.
It is a phlogius crassipes

Zoey

Arachnopeon
A
Definitely do not put it in that jar unless you plan on drilling holes in it.

And you should put ventilation holes in the enclosure it is currently in, like, yesterday. They need ventilation, and it looks way too wet in there.

EDIT: @ccTroi :kiss:

EDITx2: Also, just because the pet shop was doing something does not mean it is even remotely close to okay. Pet shops know very little about T's, and give out loads of bad advice and information.
At the pet shop all 300 of the slimgs dont have holes in their containers? But anyway ive taken the sill off the jar and there is now a thin gap arount the top that the sling cant get out of

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Yikes! Gotta love pet shops.. :banghead:

Just keep in mind that tarantulas can squeeze out of very small openings, if the gap is wide enough for the carapace to get through, it can squeeze all the way out.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Something like either of these would be much better as they allow for both top and cross ventilation.

DSC00007.JPG

As mentioned above, make sure the ventilation holes are smaller than the tarantula's carapace, I misjudged this once and lost two C. elegans slings, I was not happy.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Something like either of these would be much better as they allow for both top and cross ventilation.

View attachment 266870

As mentioned above, make sure the ventilation holes are smaller than the tarantula's carapace, I misjudged this once and lost two C. elegans slings, I was not happy.
What did you use to make the holes in the B. albiceps enlclosure? Hot screwdriver?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
A

At the pet shop all 300 of the slimgs dont have holes in their containers? But anyway ive taken the sill off the jar and there is now a thin gap arount the top that the sling cant get out of
I definitely wouldn't bet on that.

Just do your T and yourself a favour and get a plastic container like @The Grym Reaper advised and put tiny holes (but loads of them) in it. For example you could use a heated needle or just a safety pin.

The plastic container your T is in right now would be perfect with drier substrate and vent holes.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel

View attachment 266870

Where did you get the B. albiceps container from?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
What did you use to make the holes in the B. albiceps enlclosure? Hot screwdriver?
Soldering iron, these are the first batch I got back before I had a good selection of drill bits so I had to improvise, the newer ones have drilled holes.

Where did you get the B. albiceps container from?
The Factory Shop, they come in packs of 4 for a couple of quid, they're about 4" in diameter and 3" deep.

Ant

Arachnopeon
At the pet shop all 300 of the slimgs dont have holes in their containers?
Listen to the people on here not the pet shop. If you thought the pet shop was right, why are you questioning it on here?

As others have said, dry out the substrate in that plastic container, drill/melt/poke some air holes and you'll be good to go. This is why it's good to do research BEFORE you purchase a T/any animal/creature.

boina

Lady of the mites
A

Please, please, please listen to the people who told you to put your sling in a plastic enclosure with air holes.

Not only do they definitely need air, like any animal on the planet, but a lack of ventilation in a moist enclosure leads to growth of mold and bacteria. Your sling will most definitely not survive that for long. Let me make it very clear:

Moist substrate + lack of ventilation = dead spider.

The slings in the pet shop may survive for a while but in the end that pet shop will definitely end up with a lot of dead slings.

sasker

Arachnoprince
The slings in the pet shop may survive for a while but in the end that pet shop will definitely end up with a lot of dead slings.
Unfortunately, pet shops couldn't care less if a large number of their animals die. After all, there are more where they came from.:( It is very unfortunate that people assume that pet shops know what they are doing, because they don't. For them it is just business. The pet shop owner/employee may be more into dogs, cats, hamsters himself, but he just sells spiders because there is a market for them.

It is up to you if you want to believe that the pet shop does it the way it should be done. Or you can take the advice of people who keep, study, breed and love tarantulas on this forum.