Any suggestions?

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, a few of you may know from a couple of threads lately that I am seeking to make a medium colony of scorps. I am leaning toward a desert species. I have had some pretty good suggestions and am fancying S. maurus. I got a 40gallon long tank today NEW!!! at the pet store for get this...$40. No kiddin. Now I think I can make me a good size community. I am open to suggestions e.g. setup style, heating, lighting, maybe a better species to use, substrate. Just whatever you wanna throw in is cool. Later

Dale

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like the idea Dave had suggestied too you Centruroides exilicauda. Imagine how many you could fit in a 40 gallon would be awesome.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
anyone got a pic of C exilicauda? It might be the right choice. Who knows.

Later

Dale

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Actualy, all the Centruroides make for good colony scorpions. C.gracilis is a personal favourite of mine and C.vittatus, though common, look quite nice. So don't limit yourself to C.exilicauda.

Cheers,
Dave

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Would it be possible to mix them, and have gracilis, vittatus, and exilicauda in the same tank? If they were all females you could even avoid hybridizing. Would it work?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have heard of people keeping C.vittatus and C.exilicauda together. Keeping C.gracilis in the same tank would be disasterous, though, as they prefer much more humid conditions to the other two. As for hybridizing, my guess would be that you wouldn't have to worry. They generally do a pretty good job of sorting themselves out. With any enclosure of this type, you can expect a degree of canabalism. I imagine there might be more with the mixed species enclosure.

Cheers,
Dave