Any suggestions on intermediate arboreal species

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
FH = Fresshaut, losely translates as 'feeding molt'

1. FH is the first instar a spider will actively feed, so 1. FH = 2i

And I don't know where your prices are from but unsexed G. Pulchra slings are 20 to 30 Euro around here and I've seen them for less at an expo, unsexed stirmi slings go for 30 to 50 Euro, depending on size...:p.
Ah, i wasn't far off in my translation, thanks!
Re: prices...my G.pulchra sling but sexed as female, 4cm dls was 50 euro. Can't find the post on facebook about the Theraphosa slings anymore...

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Everyone is saying P.irminia. don't get me wrong, I love the species but they tend to hide far too often. If you want to see it often I would look at psalmopoeus pulcher or psalmopoeus Cambridgei. P.pulcher is not as big as P.cambridgei but the colors on the pulcher outshine that of the Cambridgei (just my opinion). Plus they are dirt cheap so you can buy a bunch. Tapinauchenius is good too but from what I have seen they are unbelievably fast. From my experience I find them a lot faster than any poecilotheria. They can run out of their enclosure before you even have time to react. It is new world but I really do pump it in with the "advanced" tarantulas due to this. Though, if you get one the bite is not too bad so at least all you need to worry about is an escape or a slightly annoying bite rather than a hospital visit.

cold blood

Staff member
Probably. But I don't think I have seen ANY Tarantula (freebies excluded) that cost less than 5 bucks (and that is a VERY limited selection) and according to googles exchange rate 1.89£ is 2.26 US dollars... if I could get prices like that I'd have hundreds of them already!!!! LOL
Ts I have seen for sale for $5 or less here in the us.

B. vagans, OBT, LP, H. maculata, P. cam (cheap side, but $5 isn't out of the realm, I sold them for like $6 at 2i), N. chromatus, B. albopilosum....just off the top of my head.

If you don't keep your eyes open to everything, you will miss a lot.
Mature males are brown
No they aren't. MM irminia=

Like pretty much all black ts, they can brown out when in pre-molt.....males and females....but not MMs.

Last edited:

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
CEC I live in jersey and I tried looking for hobbyist that do a bit if selling and found nothing. All that comes up is the big dealers like kenthebug guy Jamie's. And alot of the sites I went on the prices varied idk why that's the case.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
CEC I live in jersey and I tried looking for hobbyist that do a bit if selling and found nothing. All that comes up is the big dealers like kenthebug guy Jamie's. And alot of the sites I went on the prices varied idk why that's the case.
There is always the Buy/Sell section here. Check through the posts there and PM the original poster if you find anything you're interested in.

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
Everyone here is unbelievably informed on their Ts it's crazy. Best forum on the web about our amazing Ts. But first off yes I don't think I'm advanced enough for super super quick Ts. My Avics is in my opinion damn fast but I can def hanle them. Also first instar is way too small for me I think. Especially when I kept reading how fragile they can be. I'm thinking irminia and Cambridgei at 1" I think that's the perfect sized sling for me. Maybe 3/4. My girlfriend is worried that I already have a save up pile for when the next 3 expos coming up in February. I hope I don't come home with over 20+ Ts wether their mostly slings or not. I can't help myself.

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
Oh and idk if some of you saw my first mistake how I ended up adding questions and info about the Avic being in premolt. I checked her this morning before work. She was quick to make outstanding webbing in her new temporary set up. I came home from work and what do you know. All molted out. I was upset I missed it but exstatic she had no trouble and I didn't have to keep kill myself over possibly stressing her out way too much IMG_20180110_224025.jpg Screenshot_20180110-224836.png Screenshot_20180110-224842.png Screenshot_20180110-224852.png IMG_20180110_222637.jpg Screenshot_20180110-224915.png
Sorry guys photos are not the best. Did not to want to stress her out too much so I rushed her and put her away in a darker spot. Hopefully by next week she will be willing to eat. And thank you again for all your opinions and support.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Did not to want to stress her out too much so I rushed her and put her away in a darker spot. Hopefully by next week she will be willing to eat. And thank you again for all your opinions and support.
Looks like there's a fair bit of size increase there. May need a rehouse once it has hardened.

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
Looks like there's a fair bit of size increase there. May need a rehouse once it has hardened.
I think you're absolutely right. Her legs are for sure longer. I'm not used to seeing her fat butt to seeing it so skinny but will def try to feed her a medium cricket in about a week I reckon. Idk if I should wait longer than that huh?! And you already answered my question about waiting to move her until she's hardened. Def not touching her until I'm very sure she is.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
10-14 days before a feeding wouldn't hurt at this size. Fangs are generally the last place to fully harden, and as they get bigger everything takes longer.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Darkened fangs are, to me, the best indicator of readiness to eat.

Fortunately, my avics are glass huggers so I can almost always get a good look at their fangs.

My most recent avic to molt was actually a little prey-shy and refused to eat for about two weeks after her fangs darkened. It passed and she’s bootyful again.

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
I will leave her alone and in about a week I will do a full check on her fangs. Even tho there's a cork bark in there both of mine stay on the walls too so that's good for us. And I will try to take some shots to post on here and also try to get a magnifying glass to try to sex the she'd. Bec there's no way I can tell with bare eyes. Hopefully I have a male and female so I can breed in the future.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't worry about a thing. I have grown slings from as small as 1/4" and my death rate is 2%. For all my slings I just make sure the substrate is a little moist (as moist as soil comes in a bag from any garden store if it is pre moistened) and it has the right amount of substrate for its species lifestyle (arboreal, terrestrial etc) and I leave it there. I believe that the idea that slings are very fragile is a myth. And any psalmopoeus is pretty hardy. Though, I will admit growing them up and having them turn out male is very disheartening so due to the genuses cheapeness ( minus victori and ecclesiasticus) I would recommend getting a bunch of slings (the smaller they are the cheaper) or just buying a juvenile female

cold blood

Staff member
I'm thinking irminia and Cambridgei at 1" I think that's the perfect sized sling for me. Maybe 3/4
You don't realize just how funny that statement is.....At second instar (when they're first able to be sold), they are already 3/4"...one inch is like a month old.
September

2 months and 2 molts later

about 6 or 7 months old (about 4" already)....at this point, for reference, a Brachypelma sling might still be 1/2"

Some slings can be more fragile (that's not even the right word), but those are slow growing slings, that stay slings for extended periods of time...Psalmopeous species are not in that category at all....They grow like dandelions in July....there's nothing dainty or fragile about them.....males can mature in 10 months, going from 3/4" to 6" just to give you an idea of growth rates.
will def try to feed her a medium cricket in about a week I reckon. Idk if I should wait longer than that huh?!
A week minimum...most ts aren't quite ready at a week...but that would be the earliest to try.

Last edited:

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't worry about a thing. I have grown slings from as small as 1/4" and my death rate is 2%. For all my slings I just make sure the substrate is a little moist (as moist as soil comes in a bag from any garden store if it is pre moistened) and it has the right amount of substrate for its species lifestyle (arboreal, terrestrial etc) and I leave it there. I believe that the idea that slings are very fragile is a myth. And any psalmopoeus is pretty hardy. Though, I will admit growing them up and having them turn out male is very disheartening so due to the genuses cheapeness ( minus victori and ecclesiasticus) I would recommend getting a bunch of slings (the smaller they are the cheaper) or just buying a juvenile female
Everyone keeps saying how psalmopoeus sp. Grow a lot faster than other slings. Bec I've read how some take years and years to get to a mature size. But def buying slings and getting more than one per species that I get to liken my chances of a female. I want to be able to tell people that I've had her for 10+ year's and see the looks in the novice' face lol. Btw I also own a dusky pygmy rattlesnake. Which I've had for almost two years. She also shows no signs of shed like most snakes due and I always come home to a she'd. Only snake I've had where I can't tell if she's in she'd. She never turns blue. Have had "Hot" snakes for almost 6 years and sadly I will be giving her away to a mentor of mine. Since the kids in the house are getting older and interested in the animals. Can't risk it ya know. Don't recommend Hot snakes for many people. Even if they've worked with snakes for a while. It's a whole nother ball game with them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Everyone is saying P.irminia. don't get me wrong, I love the species but they tend to hide far too often.
Balderdash! That's a myth perpetuated by people trying to sell cams :troll:

No they aren't. MM irminia=
Alright, they're a sickly olive green cargo pants colour with pipe cleaners for legs :p:troll:

Everyone keeps saying how psalmopoeus sp. Grow a lot faster than other slings. Bec I've read how some take years and years to get to a mature size.
Because they do grow fast, you're generally looking at around two years (give or take) for them to reach full size, males will mature quicker (I've heard of them hooking out in as little as a year although I think 18 months is probably normal), there's always the off-chance that you'll get a runt that grows at a slower rate than its sac-mates.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I agree with most other people that Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus are great intermediate arboreals. I've never owned P. pulcher, but I'm going to get a P. cambrigei quite soon and I have a P. irminia already. I also have a T. gigas and a T. violaceous who are just awesome Ts. Keep in mind with Tapinauchenius that they are speed demons.