Any suggestions on intermediate arboreal species

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
Been getting more into arboreal species. Researching for the last two three months. Have my two Avic avics. Anyone have some suggestions on sorta call it intermediate species. Before I jump into pokies and such. Even tho my phone backround is of p.ornamental

Last edited:

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchinius.

First off thank you for responding to both my threads. I really appreciate it. Been reading posts on here for a while and finally made the jump to get on it myself. To follow up. What do you mean by extreme molt? He/she will be molting very soon? Also is it too big of a deal that I messed up her hide/web she berried herself in? I wasn't gonna rehouse her after thinking it would treat her out more having to make another hide. But I have a taller more ventilated enclosure I set up for her. She made her way into a piece of pvc I put in there. Should I move her into the taller set up with her in the pvc. And I'm just assuming she's a she for now btw. Thanks alot again

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
First off thank you for responding to both my threads. I really appreciate it. Been reading posts on here for a while and finally made the jump to get on it myself. To follow up. What do you mean by extreme molt? He/she will be molting very soon? Also is it too big of a deal that I messed up her hide/web she berried herself in? I wasn't gonna rehouse her after thinking it would treat her out more having to make another hide. But I have a taller more ventilated enclosure I set up for her. She made her way into a piece of pvc I put in there. Should I move her into the taller set up with her in the pvc. And I'm just assuming she's a she for now btw. Thanks alot again
Oops, I meant premolt. Yeah, should be molting within a couple weeks. Nah, not really. Should be okay.

If her current cage is well vented and set up okay. I'd leave her with a water dish to molt and then rehouse a few days after she molts

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
Oops, I meant premolt. Yeah, should be molting within a couple weeks. Nah, not really. Should be okay.

If her current cage is well vented and set up okay. I'd leave her with a water dish to molt and then rehouse a few days after she molts
She came in a small critter keeper. Obviously slot of ventilation but all towards the top sir. So I gently housed her in the small enclosure I had set up for her with alot of anchor points and bottle cap water dish. I will post a picture. Let me know if this is good enough. I didn't want to house her in something too big

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon

IMG_20180109_105552.jpg critter keepershe came in. Middle is the new temporary set up. And left I felt was too big for her
IMG_20180109_105626.jpg

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I feel like these posts (duplicates from another thread) are here on accident? I really like my psalmopoes irminia. They are beautiful Ts of black and orange and they make really cool "dirt curtain" web tunnels. Much more agressive eaters than my avic avic.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
(Genus) Psalmopoeus or nothing. Screw 'Avics' :cigar: and run with the God damn it best complete arboreal genus ever.

What can 'teach' to a keeper Psalmopoeus species is priceless. Then, after, you're ready for 'pokies' but, IMO better than those 'run & hide' shy Indian subcontinent spiders, the Asian pissed off tree climbers like a female of Lampropelma nigerrimum or Stromatopelma calceatum, a fury on eight legs.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
As people have said, I would go with a Psalmopoeus. I’m about to get an irminia myself.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
The Avicularia genus (and relatives) is very diverse. If arboreals are your thing, you can consider exploring more species within that Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora complex. They all have their unique attributes, and are a pleasure to keep:)

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the quick positive responses! You know what's funny. I was honestly going to pictured two days ago and saw a picture of an irninia and screenshot it. Did some research on care. And when I went for pictured. lot of the pictures showing up the irminias weren't truly black and orange. Most of them were brown.

Ali67avic

Arachnopeon
The Avicularia genus (and relatives) is very diverse. If arboreals are your thing, you can consider exploring more species within that Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora complex. They all have their unique attributes, and are a pleasure to keep:)
You are absolutely right. I was looking into versicolor in particular. They're beautiful and much more docile than alot of other arboreals

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Couldn't get a great picture but hopefully you get the idea. 20180109_112230.jpg 20180109_112230.jpg 20180109_111717.jpg

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
E53C23DC-B3F2-4A69-9EBF-7D5641F06590.jpeg
Thanks everyone for the quick positive responses! You know what's funny. I was honestly going to pictured two days ago and saw a picture of an irninia and screenshot it. Did some research on care. And when I went for pictured. lot of the pictures showing up the irminias weren't truly black and orange. Most of them were brown.
Adult females get some really stunning color, but juveniles can at times be a little muddled in color. Here’s a picture of my adult female, she’s about 6.25 inches now.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Quite cramped set up. I'd move to the bigger cage right away. IMG_20171022_215800_583.jpg
Irminia are psychos. Worth it tho. You're ready for pokies after raising a female of these. Screenshot_20170815-195629.png
IMG_20171003_150856_011.jpg

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
5D702C09-8F60-4C2E-B924-634198D1503A.jpeg
Quite cramped set up. I'd move to the bigger cage right away. View attachment 262772
Irminia are psychos. Worth it tho. You're ready for pokies after raising a female of these. View attachment 262773
View attachment 262775
I’m pretty sure my girl is broken... She’s very calm and polite as can be, and is always out on display. I think I got one threat posture out of her when she was in heavy premolt. Total weirdo. At times I kinda wish she was so fiesty :p

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
View attachment 262776

I’m pretty sure my girl is broken... She’s very calm and polite as can be, and is always out on display. I think I got one threat posture out of her when she was in heavy premolt. Total weirdo. At times I kinda wish she was so fiesty :p
Mine is too. My male isn't. Same with my other make arboreals. Makes me think they're all just like that and the females have all the fight in them.