Any serious risk of inbreeding?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I wonder if there is a risk of getting odd or unhealthy scorps from having siblings mate. Can there be any serious problems?

I've heard about roaches (and I don't know how acurate that is) that inbred roaches won't get as large as other roaches. Would scorps have the same problem?

Cirith

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
LOL
there should be a new mental term "paranoid about something which wont happen for a couple of years-inia"

:p
your babies will be adult in 1.5-2 years
and then, even if they do inbreed, the babies will probably be ok (im not sure about this)

remember, they cant mate until they are adult (with is last instar in emps!)

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
LOL
there should be a new mental term "paranoid about something which wont happen for a couple of years-inia"

:p
your babies will be adult in 1.5-2 years
and then, even if they do inbreed, the babies will probably be ok (im not sure about this)

remember, they cant mate until they are adult (with is last instar in emps!)

No need for that term. I'm in most cases asking about stuff that just pops up in my head, eventho I might never experience anything like it. I'm just curious. Thanks anyway ;)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
I've heard about roaches (and I don't know how acurate that is) that inbred roaches won't get as large as other roaches. Would scorps have the same problem?

Cirith
I have a colony of "death heads" going since -99 or so, and there is no size difference whatsoever. Maybe some species are more sensible then others.

/Lelle

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Ok. Sounds good.

My main thought with this question was wether I should sell off all of my scorps and get new ones for breeding, but since inbreeding doesn't seem to pose such a big problem I can keep a few together for the rest of their lives and don't need to worry about misshaped babies from them.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think there was a large thread about this at one point a lil while ago. I forget most of it (too technical for me), but I think I remember inbreeding to not be so bad with most invertabrates. Regardless, look at some species that are parthenogenic, now if that doesnt make a problem after a generation, I dont know what would.

anyway, I know my C. Vittatus have inbred, I'm just waiting on the results now. So I'm hoping they will be perfectly fine.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and if we want to keep some rare species in captivity, inbreeding is the only option we have...

knightjar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
LOL
Isn't it better than Head-in-the-sand-ism?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
I dont quite know what you mean by that

i was refering to the fact that Cirith tends to worry alot, over nothing
and i answered his question anyway, so i dont know why you are offended. (full stop)

knightjar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not offended! (And no offense intended)

Just saying that there's nothing wrong with worrying about things before they actually go wrong - it gives you the chance to take preventative measures rather than sitting back and pretending it's not going to happen.