Any reason for tarantula to stand on tip toes when not eating? (pic)

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wasn't going about it scientifically. Just found that the new sub mix seemed to have fixed the problem. I'm just sharing what I have experienced. So maybe instead of saying acidic. I should have said some tarantulas may not like the way eco earth feels. Kinda like avic's don't seem to like hair when walking on your arm. I don't handle but have heard this many times and have experienced it when a versi ran up on my arm during a transfer.

Last edited:

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Wasn't going about it scientifically. Just found that the new sub mix seemed to have fixed the problem. I'm just sharing what I have experienced.
What i am saying isnt that your problem was not fixed. In that yes your t stopped performing the tippy toes act. But what evidence do you have to support your claims aside from the fact that changing the substrate fixed the problem. It could just be a coincidence that your t stopped and nothing to do with a substrate change.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I tried just rehousing using the same eco earth even bought new eco earth. The tarantulas did the same thing stood on toes a lot. I decided to try a mix of soils (the ones I stated earlier) and found the problem went away. Couple years later doing some rehouses I just bought eco earth. I hadn't collected desert soil in awhile and was out of peat. So I just used the one and honestly didn't even think about the tippy toes. Checked on my Ts the next day and there was my reminder. One of my oldest Ts G.poteri was on her toes. Within a few days 3 more Ts did the same. Went to the desert got some clay/ sand and bought some peat, eco earth. Made a mix. Rehoused the G.poteri first. Next day she was off her toes and has been ever since. Rehoused the rest with the same results. I'm not saying anymore than that's what worked for me with the tippy toes.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Well I tried just rehousing using the same eco earth even bought new eco earth. The tarantulas did the same thing stood on toes a lot. I decided to try a mix of soils (the ones I stated earlier) and found the problem went away. Couple years later doing some rehouses I just bought eco earth. I hadn't collected desert soil in awhile and was out of peat. So I just used the one and honestly didn't even think about the tippy toes. Checked on my Ts the next day and there was my reminder. One of my oldest Ts G.poteri was on her toes. Within a few days 3 more Ts did the same. Went to the desert got some clay/ sand and bought some peat, eco earth. Made a mix. Rehoused the G.poteri first. Next day she was off her toes and has been ever since. Rehoused the rest with the same results. I'm not saying anymore than that's what worked for me with the tippy toes.
Those are the knitty gritty details i wanted. I completely understand.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight

Thank you! Very informative!

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
All of my G porteri have done this at one time or another. 1 immature male, 2 mature females. I always thought it was just spider yoga. Maybe they like to have a nice long stretch after pooping or something.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My Phlogius sp. do this every now and then without any particular reason. Selenotholus Kotzman does it when eating and my Selenotypus sp. seem to do it right after molting, presumably as a stretch

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I've been recently doing some reading up on their exoskeleton, plus all the different types of hairs that they have, and how both can affect the spiders behaviour. They have specialized tactile hairs on their sternum and stimulation of those hairs can result in them raising themselves off the ground.
Whether that is because they are over stimulated and trying to lessen the amount of information that those hairs are picking up, whether they are trying to get a better read on the information that is being communicated by them, or whether those hairs are controlled hydraulically and raising themselves off the ground enables them to turn those hairs 'on' with hemolymph pressure, I don't know.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I always figured it was to prevent the feeder from touching the ground and thereby gaining leverage to help it escape. (I notice mine stand on their toes more often with larger feeders, especially ones that are really wriggling.)

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
I always figured it was to prevent the feeder from touching the ground and thereby gaining leverage to help it escape. (I notice mine stand on their toes more often with larger feeders, especially ones that are really wriggling.)
That's quite possible, mine didn't do it a lot when feeding crickets as they don't seem to resist that much but since I've started my dubia farm he does it every time. The dubia don't give up easy

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had some tarantulas doing this. I have a P chordatus female doing this. Ibread previous post that it has something to do with mites. I dont really believe that this is the prime reason, cos i have had tarantulas in miteingested cages NOT doing this. I wonder why my P chordatus is doing this. Dry sub without any visable mites. This stance is unnatural for them!

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have been using a combo of Eco Earth and Desert Sand (non calcium) and I think my OBT is not fond of it. She/He has been hanging on the top of the enclosure but it might be because she/he is not "settled in".

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I've seen it in Brachys and Grammastola. From my experience the sub may be to moist
The only time I saw one of mine do this (other than while eating) was my G. pulchra after I overflowed her water dish too much. She stopped once she moved to a drier area.

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
My h. pulchripes does this on occasion. Usually on its webbed-up surfaces. I have no idea why and just chalk it up to odd tarantula behavior. There is no sign of mites, the substrate is dry, and like I said, it is usually on its webbed area.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i have seen some of my ts do that after grooming themselves but not a whole day