Any New Additions?

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire

I went to pick up 2 Tapinauchenius violaceous slings from a buddy, and he gave me 4! They are teeny tiny, definitely the smallest slings that I've dealt with so far, but from what I've read about the genus, I'm grateful to have the extra time before they get bigger and faster.

Biskitt

Arachnopeon
I just got my A. avicularia as my first T! I names her cricket because shes still pretty small, i havent sexed it yet but i call her a girl anyway IMG_20190607_162231_hdr.jpg IMG_20190607_154825_hdr.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It's probably fairly common knowledge by now since I started a thread to discuss it, but my latest is a Ceratogyrus marshalli. it is the first s'ling I've received in nearly six years and my first Old world species.

V. confusus, my first NW scorpion :) A really goofy little fella, he keeps scuttling all over the enclosure to check the place out :rofl: I'm sure I'll really enjoy keeping this scorpion :happy:

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Another unfortunate turn of events with this unboxing. :(

Using the refund from the C. minax that sadly came to pass, I placed an order for a C. dyscolus female and finally picked up an H. pulchripes sling with it. I found an awesome, decently sized little S. kovariki thrown in as a freebie, which was a nice uplift since I had intended on buying a female the seller had in addition to the C. dyscolus, but someone else got to it just before I did.

Both the S. kovariki and H. pulchripes were in good shape. Sadly, the same could not be said about the C. dyscolus; despite wonderful packing and a relatively short time in transit, this big, nearly 6" beautiful female arrived with a burst abdomen and just barely twitching.

(Heads up for pretty gross pictures of the rupture below)

20190611_124207.jpg
20190611_112347.jpg
20190611_112424.jpg

I moved her to the refrigerator after taking these pictures, and next the freezer. She was still weakly twitching her legs at the time, but I don't think there's anything that can be done with a rupture this bad other than to show mercy. :(

I contacted the seller and was informed that despite using the same packaging that has worked without issue for the last two years (and again, I stress that the packing was very good and the seller is considered to be very reputable) that they've seen a very sudden influx of ruptures over the last two weeks and fear that someone possibly may be intentionally mishandling their packages, their packages aren't being put in the pressurized parts of the plane, or something else to that effect. The seller has another female C. dyscolus they've offered to send as a replacement. They're going to try changing their packing to be more discreet in hopes that if their packages are purposely being targeted it'll help deter that, as well as contacting SYR to see if they have any further suggestions on what they can do.

Hopefully the third time will be the charm, but man is it disheartening to have this be the second time in a row that I've had a female show up nearly dead and unsavable.

Jmore

Arachnopeon
2 days ago I got 3 S. Cals (feather leg baboons) and 3 P. Murinus (obts). All slings, the largest is one of the S. Cals and it’s about the size of my pinky, a female I believe, and absolutely wilddd. I plan to rehouse them soon as the enclosures they’re in are very messy and unappealing to look at, I believe they may have mold in them too :vomit:.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pokie fever this week

P.fasciata
62154772_10157052459607349_6679310148332158976_n.jpg

P.miranda
62488327_10157054427107349_1692407458984624128_n (1).jpg

P.hanumavilasumica

62208138_10157054424217349_3002784290023931904_n.jpg

Also have gotten
P.sp "playtomma"
P.sp "cascada"
P. cf Peru antinous
T. apophysis

Not sure if I mentioned this or not
T.blondi
C.laeta
Y.diversipes
P.irminia

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
FINALLY, after two previous attempts (slings died before they were even shipped, if you can believe it. One time a bad import, the other predatory mites) I got 6 x Coremiocnemis hoggi slings, they've been high on my wish list up till this point. Also got a female Cyriocosmus leetzi that is very nice.

Last edited:

Phia

Arachnopeon
At a convention this weekend I got a ~6.5-7” adult female P. regalis and 1.5” unsexed juvenile I. mira!!

I name my tarantulas haha so the P. regalis is “Elizabeth the First”. The I. mira is “Shuuz”, said like shoes but stretched! Elizabeth already has a boyfriend, a juvenile male. That will be my first breeding project ... :bucktooth::rofl:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Sadly, the same could not be said about the C. dyscolus; despite wonderful packing and a relatively short time in transit, this big, nearly 6" beautiful female arrived with a burst abdomen and just barely twitching.
That would break my heart.

I contacted the seller and was informed that despite using the same packaging that has worked without issue for the last two years (and again, I stress that the packing was very good and the seller is considered to be very reputable) that they've seen a very sudden influx of ruptures over the last two weeks and fear that someone possibly may be intentionally mishandling their packages, their packages aren't being put in the pressurized parts of the plane, or something else to that effect. The seller has another female C. dyscolus they've offered to send as a replacement. They're going to try changing their packing to be more discreet in hopes that if their packages are purposely being targeted it'll help deter that, as well as contacting SYR to see if they have any further suggestions on what they can do.
Was the package marked "fragile"? Sometimes you hear horror stories about employees deliberately mishandling fragile packages, as if the marking were a challenge or an invitation.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
That would break my heart.
It really did, especially since the only other incident I've had with DOAs or anything like that was with a small sling. It sucked enough to lose the C. minax, but then seeing the C. dyscolus like that made me feel sick. The entire bottom portion of the shipping container's paper towels were soaked from the rupture too, so it must have been leaking for some time too. Terrible to think that she was just sitting in there slowly bleeding out, times like this really make me hope we're right that they don't suffer pain the way vertebrates do. :(

Was the package marked "fragile"? Sometimes you hear horror stories about employees deliberately mishandling fragile packages, as if the marking were a challenge or an invitation.
I can't remember for certain, I know it was at least labeled as perishables though. The seller also has their shop name listed in the shipping label, and makes it pretty obvious what's being shipped in their packages, so it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if someone noticed the label and purposely mishandled the shipments. If it were a problem with the packages not being put in the pressurized parts of the plane I'd have thought the slings wouldn't have made it either, but they were both okay, and a small sling that's securely packed will be able to handle the box being tossed around while a big female with a large abdomen might not. People can be so cruel.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The entire bottom portion of the shipping container's paper towels were soaked from the rupture too, so it must have been leaking for some time too. Terrible to think that she was just sitting in there slowly bleeding out, times like this really make me hope we're right that they don't suffer pain the way vertebrates do. :(
It surprises me that she survived so long with such a terrible injury. I wonder if the initial wound was survivable (or at least smaller) and got worse as the package was handled during the shipping process.

I can't remember for certain, I know it was at least labeled as perishables though. The seller also has their shop name listed in the shipping label, and makes it pretty obvious what's being shipped in their packages, so it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if someone noticed the label and purposely mishandled the shipments.
As a general practice, the seller should probably change all of his labeling so the nature of the business and contents of the package are not obvious -- particularly if it has a word like "spider," which many people wouldn't think twice about killing.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
It surprises me that she survived so long with such a terrible injury. I wonder if the initial wound was survivable (or at least smaller) and got worse as the package was handled during the shipping process.
I'm not even 100% certain she was still actually alive or if it was just post-mortem reflexes that were causing her legs to twitch inward. It honestly looked like the blowout from the rupture was pretty severe, but sealed against the paper towels and were just siphoning fluids from the wound. I'm pretty sure that when I removed her from the packaging it likely reopened the wound, when I first pulled her out I was half afraid I'd been responsible for the rupture myself since I had tried coaxing her out of the container with a paintbrush before realizing something was wrong. Thankfully that wasn't the case, but doesn't make me feel much better overall.

As a general practice, the seller should probably change all of his labeling so the nature of the business and contents of the package are not obvious -- particularly if it has a word like "spider," which many people wouldn't think twice about killing.
Yeah, that's what they're going to start doing and see if that makes any notable difference. The seller said they'd had the most DOAs they've experienced in two years of shipping over the last 2 weeks (including 4 other blowouts) and fear that may be what's going on. I surely hope that whatever is going on is indeed solved when they ship out the other C. dyscolus they're going to send me. I don't know if I can handle a third female in a row perishing as a result of being shipped to me. :(

ColletteTZ

Arachnopeon
Today I picked myself up a ghost royal python, does that count? :rofl: Hoping my mystery box comes tomorrow !