Any New Additions?

Aedan547

Arachnopeon
You can absolutely get by with old worlds early on if you're responsible, over here in Australia everybody who owns Ts has started with an OW and most are very successful even though they pick the more skittish and defensive species like Phlogius strenuus, it's not recommended but it can be done.

From what I've heard H. macs are very reclusive and will dart for a hide or webbing rather than out of the enclosure which should make things just a little easier. This is one of the harder species to keep so if you can keep it alive And healthy you are probably responsible enough to avoid escapes and being bitten

Back to the OP, I bought a Phlogius rubiseta and a semi communal Pygmy rainforest tarantula (Unnamed Phlogius sp) online. Both should be arriving soon

Congrats on your new Ts! I firmly believe that i will be able to get by with this OW :) As I said on another reply I was raised by people who dealt with exotic animals most of their lives my parents definetly see the responsibilty im capable of and how far I go to make sure all of my animals are taken care of day to day, and i think thats why they are okay with a new T coming home every week lol ☺

Some Ts will chew on the styrofoam backing. My A. sp metallica never did. Something to either remove, or keep an eye on. It's a skittish but pretty species, good size too.

I'd recommend a taller container for the H. mac primarily due to their speed.

I hope it's not your first OW. Good luck.

Thank you for the reply! I did not know that styrofoam background could be a chew toy for my T! I will certainly keep an eye out, as for the moment she started a beautiful web and id hate to drag that big piece of background out. If it comes to that thiugh i think she will forgive me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phases

Arachnoknight
Well, it's just that they are so fast, and potent venom. But, I don't worry about any old world T so far. They are all handle-able. I don't mean as in holding, I mean more like with some patience, planning and reasonable reaction times - and no fear(!) - all old worlds are fine to transfer and house and feed and all that junk in my book. I've never had an issue and everyone is always so "omg you need to have a hardy nw terrestrial for a year before thinking about an old world!" and, I dunno I just never got it.

"what first ow should I get, starter species" I mean, I dont even know what someone is looking for there. I guess something that is happy in regular environment without much added care? That question can go for NW too.

Or do they mean because of venom? Who REALLY knows which OW is worse than the next. Just don't get bit, that works too.

Or, less likely to bite? I mean, I guess that's a fair angle. In that case, just grab any sling ;)

Tarantula owning and maint isn't near as hard as some make it out to be. Research how they live in their natural environments. Research how others (mikes basic is decent) keep them, don't poke and prod, respect the spider and it's boundary, and it'll be okay. If you have more than a couple, spreadsheets are very helpful.

Just know what you are getting into, and the risks, and make sure others around you know too.

Also, tarantulas would much rather bolt into their den/burrow/nest before out the cage if they have something built. All mine fit that rule. I do not worry about any jumping out at me. I do not worry when cleaning the cages anymore (though still be cautious, keep an eye on them etc), as they just huddle in the corner or watch or, sometimes tell me they don't want me to do it, and I just deal with it.

I Know I'll get some hate on this post. That's okay.

Thewafflishone

Arachnopeon
At the iowa reptile show and sale I got some new spooders from heartland invertebrates.

0.0.1 psalmopeus irminia
0.0.1 psalmopeus cambridgei
0.0.1 grammastola pulchripes
0.0.1 euathlus sp. Red
0.0.1 chromatopelma cyanopubescens
0.0.1 hapolopus sp. Columbia large

All little slings, the largest is the GBB at about 1.5" the Euathlus is tiny, maybe .5"max. This is my first batch of slings, wish me luck. Unfortunately they are all hiding, so no pictures, yet.

Also got some hissing cockroaches, from another vendor I can't remember the name of.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
0.0.3 3/4” Caribena versicolor
0.0.1 1/2” Hapalopus sp. “Colombia” large

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
6"+ female Phormingochilus sp "sabah blue" arrived yesterday.

Lots more coming tomorrow and next week. One more very exciting package at the end of the month as well 20180409_114542.jpg 20180410_211545.jpg 20180409_195627.jpg 20180410_211651.jpg 20180410_212303.jpg 20180409_114542.jpg 20180410_211545.jpg

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Arriving next week...I'm going to have to stop adding tarantulas to my roach orders to justify shipping costs, soon, really, I promise, maybe :rofl:

Holothele sp. gold
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Avicularia urticans
Chilobrachys paviei

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
0.0.6 Heteropoda venatoria, WC juv-subadult-adult (arriving tomorrow)
0.1.0 Heteropoda davidbowie (arriving next week)
0.1.0 Olios giganteus + slings from sac (arriving in 2-4 weeks)
0.0.1 Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, ~3" (next week)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I only use the styro backing (or blackout glass) for my p. metallica who is super scared of light and needs the privacy. Not noticed a problem but will keep an eye on it thanks @viper69

As for the whole old world thing.. I dunno I don't really see what all the hoopla is about. I adopted 8 or 10 old worlds within my first 4 months of the hobby. Now I have about 20 of each, no problems with anyone if you're reasonably able to do your due diligence on husbandry and go into it knowing what you're getting into.. be careful.

Got my Hmac 2 months into the hobby. Love her to death. Had to rehouse her up a little to make her happy but check out her epic webbing:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf_qq6YhRth

Also, she is the subject of one of my favorite hunts on video:

.. you'll be good just go with all the old world basics - don't handle, stay alert, and keep husbandry where it needs to be - you'll love her. Esp right after a molt!

:D
No prob. It's not a species thing, just specimen to specimen variability on chewing up things.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I was at the Predators Reptile Expo up in Mesa yesterday and I picked up a 0.1 Psalmopoeus cambridgei and a 0.0.1 (suspect female), juvenile Dolichothele exilis. The cambridgei, now named Dorothy, is a counter-part to my mature male, named Toto. Not sure if I’ll breed them because I want to be sure Dorothy is big enough, and I’m not sure how viable Toto is given that he matured back in July. He still eats, occasionally... The exilis was bought because while I really want the diamamtinensis, what I found of that species at the show were tiny slings, and I’m not interested in yet more slings right now. So I figured that the exilis was close enough. Her colors aren’t as striking but I love her behavior. so now I have an even 50.

My wife also brought home her second T. She got herself a sub-adult suspect female Avicularia metallica, now named Victoria.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I also went to the Predators Reptile Expo. I got a juvie Dolicothele diamantinensis, a P. sazimai sling, a Scolopendra polymorpha, a Dolomedes okefinokensis, and three species of mantid: Sphodromantis lineola, Parasphendale agrionina, and Phyllocrania paradoxa.

Last edited:

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
:shifty: Now I’m like, “where was there a juvie of diamantinensis...”

Oh well, I’m pretty happy with the exilis, now named Dolores (needed a name for the enclosure label...) The exilis was from Ken the Bug Guy and sold as Oligoxystre caatinga. I definitely considered a P. sazimai. I don’t know, I guess I was a bit hesitant about getting an unsexed juvie...

I just wish I had focused on getting more enclosures, which was the WHOLE reason I went...

Phases

Arachnoknight
No prob. It's not a species thing, just specimen to specimen variability on chewing up things.
I have an A. seemani, Jax, that I experimented with a little and put toilet paper rolls in one of his chambers, he chewed one of them up a bit when he first investigated them :D Now he just ignores them. I suppose they are now a little small for him to want to get in..

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
:shifty: Now I’m like, “where was there a juvie of diamantinensis...”

Oh well, I’m pretty happy with the exilis, now named Dolores (needed a name for the enclosure label...) The exilis was from Ken the Bug Guy and sold as Oligoxystre caatinga. I definitely considered a P. sazimai. I don’t know, I guess I was a bit hesitant about getting an unsexed juvie...

I just wish I had focused on getting more enclosures, which was the WHOLE reason I went...
I snapped up the last one. The person selling them was the one with the millipede/death-feigning starter kits. They sold out of the juvie diamentinensis after only like 30 minutes.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Just FYI... it's now Dolichothele diamantinensis. :)
I thought the name change was from Dolicothele to Oligoxystre? Someone corrected me on this like a week ago.

If I'm wrong, that's great. I prefer Dolicothele, I was just told that it was no longer the genus.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have an A. seemani, Jax, that I experimented with a little and put toilet paper rolls in one of his chambers, he chewed one of them up a bit when he first investigated them :D Now he just ignores them. I suppose they are now a little small for him to want to get in..
Just remember cardboard is great for growing mold

Phases

Arachnoknight
Maybe I'll pull it out and see what else I can come up with for him in there. He is a really fun guy. with favorite spots in each chamber. Unfortunately for that one, under and behind those rolls is his spot.

You can see them here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhbbSZIAwV_/?taken-by=project_tarantula
https://www.instagram.com/p/BelXfywhWj2/?taken-by=project_tarantula

.. he's in the rock in that last one, but usually he is to the left of it under the rolls. This chamber was created to give him a water dish that he wouldn't just dump into his substrate to help with tunneling. So, yes this is the one with the water dish, but it's up front and never spills, glued down.

His middle chamber is his traditional setup full of substrate and wood etc, then his right has stuff for him to climb all around in. Every time I check him out he's somewhere different, if he's not prepping for a molt :D

It's a pretty sweet setup honestly, if Ts can enjoy things. I did it because he kept spilling his dish AND kept just... I don't know, trying to bite through his lid. He was just bored and restless, now he has lots to go back and forth in and has seemed to really enjoy it. He's made little areas in each he chills in, and uses the middle one for his molt mats.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I thought the name change was from Dolicothele to Oligoxystre? Someone corrected me on this like a week ago.

If I'm wrong, that's great. I prefer Dolicothele, I was just told that it was no longer the genus.
Well, whoever corrected you, corrected you wrong. ;) The species was moved from the genus Oligoxystre to Dolichothele in 2016. [Source]

Edit:
And maybe because she heard we were talking about "her", my D. diamantinensis came out to say hi... something that actually never happens. :wideyed::astonished:

20180415_rare sighting.jpg

Last edited: