Any idea what this is?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
So when I was cleaning out the pool, I came across two of these, one of which was unfortunatly dead :(. It is nine centimeters long and nearly two point five centimeters thick. I also live in Florida. I was also wondering how to care for it, unless it would be kinder for me to toss it back out.

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have a lot of simlar-looking millipedes to choose from in Florida. I'm afraid those pictures don't give enough detail to tell which it is. In general, though, millipedes do fairly well in captivity. They need deep, slightly moist (but not wet/drippy/swampy) soil with decaying wood, leaves, and other organic matter to eat. You can also supplement their diet with fruits and vegetables (mine love cucumbers, zuchini, and romaine) and they will need a bit of calcium supplement (either calcium powder or a bit of cuttlebone or decomposing egg shells).

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Thank you for helping! I will have to get some soil, though I have no shortage of leaves and wood thanks to the oak trees in my yard. Would coco coir work as a temporary substrate?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
No. It is the exact same milipede. I just used the flash on my phone for one photo, and I did not use it for the other.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Also, turns out the dead one is alive, albeit just barely. Found it crawling around in my yard.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
When I get back from dinner, I will try to get better pictures. I understand those are not of the highest quality.