Any good jumping spiders for beginners? And where do you get 'em?

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Title says it all. Because i'm just getting back into the hobby, I was wondering if there were any good beginner jumping spiders, and where you would get them.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Phidippus regius is a good beginner species jumping spider. They grow to be one of the biggest jumping spiders and is pretty easy to come by. They can be found locally here where I live. But the problem is that it is pretty cold for a spring here at the moment. Especially since it is April here!! But yea, Phidippus regius is a good beginner choice for me.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Phidippus regius is a good beginner species jumping spider. They grow to be one of the biggest jumping spiders and is pretty easy to come by. They can be found locally here where I live. But the problem is that it is pretty cold for a spring here at the moment. Especially since it is April here!! But yea, Phidippus regius is a good beginner choice for me.
great, thanks! Where exactly are they found, like under rocks or logs or something like that?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
great, thanks! Where exactly are they found, like under rocks or logs or something like that?
They are like nomads in the wild. They don't really settle, unless in hibernation or in a really safe place for food to approach them. Here almost all jumping spiders breed between May - July. But the P. regius is not really easy to find. Finding a specific jumping spider here is like buying a lottery. You catch one jumping spider hoping it to be a Phidippus regius only for it to be another species. We have 8 species of jumping spiders here where I live. But it is not easy to find the Phidippus regius, ironically though, my brother caught one in his room , which it was hibernating in his room to avoid the cold winter. I still have it in a 32 oz container, and its well fed. But I plan to release it back to wild so it can breed since May is close.

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
I second P.Regius, also P.Audax. They look similar in size and color. I actually just got an eggsac, as they aren't difficult to breed either. Plus, they're really cute and curious creatures who tend to not be shy. Plus they can also have rather minimalist enclosures. Sorry if I'm not being too helpful, I'm rather tired, so, sorry.

Oh yeah, to find them, look on sunny walls. They tend to hang out around areas like that. Or, you can find them in crevices like in the area between the roof of a house and the walls. The first one I found though was due to me leaving a net outside and it spun a shelter web in the handle of the net.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I second P.Regius, also P.Audax. They look similar in size and color. I actually just got an eggsac, as they aren't difficult to breed either. Plus, they're really cute and curious creatures who tend to not be shy. Plus they can also have rather minimalist enclosures. Sorry if I'm not being too helpful, I'm rather tired, so, sorry.
@Godzillaalienfan1979 Phiddipus audax is also much more widespread than P. regius, though somewhat smaller. I have a P. audacity that my daughters found in their bedroom. It’s easy to keep, and an amazing hunter.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
They are like nomads in the wild. They don't really settle, unless in hibernation or in a really safe place for food to approach them. Here almost all jumping spiders breed between May - July. But the P. regius is not really easy to find. Finding a specific jumping spider here is like buying a lottery. You catch one jumping spider hoping it to be a Phidippus regius only for it to be another species. We have 8 species of jumping spiders here where I live. But it is not easy to find the Phidippus regius, ironically though, my brother caught one in his room , which it was hibernating in his room to avoid the cold winter. I still have it in a 32 oz container, and its well fed. But I plan to release it back to wild so it can breed since May is close.
He's not going to find a regius in VT........

Too early to find them wild, but probably starting in May, you'll find audax. Look on a warm, sunny day. Look on chain link fences or walls. They love to sunbathe. Jungle gyms are also really good to look. Love your name btw. Big Gojira fans over here ...

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
Any jumping spider will do if you're a beginner, just keep an eye on every small spider you come across, definitely easier to keep than a Tarantula btw :) good luck

Title says it all. Because i'm just getting back into the hobby, I was wondering if there were any good beginner jumping spiders, and where you would get them.
My opinion, if you love spiders then any jumping spider is a "beginner" spider, they're easy to feed, easy to find, and their enclosure doesn't need anything much compare to tarantulas. (Quick reminder, don't put a water bowl in the enclosure since it could drown them, spray water on the surface every 2 days instead)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Phidippus audax and Playtcryptus undatus are both large, widespread, and easy to keep. Really any Phidippus will make good beginner jumpers, it all just depends on what species you can get your hands on.