Any funny reptile stories?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
So i had a search through the forums and couldn't find one already, and I know how hilarious our scaley friends can be so I just had to start this thread (if there is already one I missed, please delete or merge this one).

I'm gonna start off with one about my Beardie, Xenon.

So here he is, in his full lazy glory.

After a day of running through the garden and eating clover flowers in our lawn, he was asleep on my jumper which happened to be the exact same colour as he was. Come dinner time, he was fast asleep and nobody even realised he was sitting on my shoulder. Suddenly, a fly came past and landed right next to his face. Immediately awakening to the familiar sound, he launched right off my shoulder to catch the fly and landed smack bang in the middle of my only half eaten beef stroganoff. My mother and brother had a mild shock for about half a second. Then, after 5 seconds of silence and doing nothing but staring at my plate, my father let out a quick, high pitched scream of fright :rofl: we still talk about that night every now and then.

So that's my bit done. I'm sure there's many more stories waiting to be told, and I can't wait to hear them

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
George hanging out on hammock.JPG george mess2.jpg

Nope. None. Nyet. Nada.

Oh, well... they can be messy, and they are lazy as, yannoe. lol

If mine had a mantra it would "So?"

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Many years ago, I was moving from CA to NE, had my iguana riding on the dash. He was such a good boy he just laid there in the sun, seemed pretty happy. Stupidly, we checked into a hotel for the night in Utah and left him there. The next morning, we realized it was COLD, SUPER COLD and we never would have left him if we had thought this out. I felt horrible, it was dead, we took it to a rest stop and were going to lay it to rest under a tree, but I started to cry and couldn't do it. We brought it back in to the van, put it back on the dash and resolved we would bury it when we got to our destination. Have you guessed what happened by now? YUP! It woke up while we were driving down the road because the defrost heater vents were on! He didn't seem phased at all when he woke up, either. I had him for MANY more years after that, I am happy to say! Reptiles are amazing.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Many years ago, I was moving from CA to NE, had my iguana riding on the dash. He was such a good boy he just laid there in the sun, seemed pretty happy. Stupidly, we checked into a hotel for the night in Utah and left him there. The next morning, we realized it was COLD, SUPER COLD and we never would have left him if we had thought this out. I felt horrible, it was dead, we took it to a rest stop and were going to lay it to rest under a tree, but I started to cry and couldn't do it. We brought it back in to the van, put it back on the dash and resolved we would bury it when we got to our destination. Have you guessed what happened by now? YUP! It woke up while we were driving down the road because the defrost heater vents were on! He didn't seem phased at all when he woke up, either. I had him for MANY more years after that, I am happy to say! Reptiles are amazing.
My heart sank for a minute there!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Gotta say these moments change us for the better, really nice twist to that story haha

One time I took my blue tongue lizard with me to the beach because that day the temperature where we lived was sweltering, like 46°c (over 100°F), which is too hot for them. We had him in a tissue box so he had lots of cushioning and was asleep most of the time. Anyway, somehow or other, he climbed out and went down a crab hole. We were hysterically looking for him, panicking and confused as to where he went, then I decided to call his name and I kid you not, he marched right out of that crab hole and onto my foot. From that point forward, we no longer take him to the beach :rofl:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I was cleaninf out my crested gecko’s enclosure once and she was actually cooperating and being calm. I had to remove some old ornaments from the back when she just bolted around my room. She scaled the wall, ceiling, and the table in a matter of seconds.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I was cleaninf out my crested gecko’s enclosure once and she was actually cooperating and being calm. I had to remove some old ornaments from the back when she just bolted around my room. She scaled the wall, ceiling, and the table in a matter of seconds.
I've never had cresties but I've kept Robust Velvet Geckos and they are just as fast, bolty and even more nervous so can relate lol

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I once didn't shut the lid of my Rosy Boa's (Jack) enclosure all the way, because it was barely a centimeter wide opening, and I thought "No, he can't get out of that" (keep in mind I was much less mature at the time and hadn't gotten into the invertebrate hobby yet). The next morning, I come into the room where his cage was, and there was Jack, sitting on a bookshelf right next to the doorway...
I am super grateful this adventure ended in such a way, otherwise I might be Rosy Boa-less today!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I once didn't shut the lid of my Rosy Boa's (Jack) enclosure all the way, because it was barely a centimeter wide opening, and I thought "No, he can't get out of that" (keep in mind I was much less mature at the time and hadn't gotten into the invertebrate hobby yet). The next morning, I come into the room where his cage was, and there was Jack, sitting on a bookshelf right next to the doorway...
I am super grateful this adventure ended in such a way, otherwise I might be Rosy Boa-less today!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Haha that's a lucky one we've spent whole days in search of our children's python on 1 or 2 occasions. Any pics of him? Haven't seen a Rosy Boa before

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My bearded dragon develops a syndrome where he simply cannot be bothered to walk when I am cleaning his enclosure. Like a pet rock. I have to physically lift and move him out of my way while I clean his enclosure (40 gallon, so lots of room for mess!). We make eye contact and I swear he gives me a smug look every time. Biggest brat ever. Like a teenager too busy on his smart phone or something. He's only active when he needs to poop.

Also:

"I love fresh organic mustard greens more than any other food in the world!"
Next day: "You insult me! I couldn't possibly eat mustard greens, why would you spend time chopping up this garbage for me to eat???"
(Rinse and repeat every other day with other veg/fruit offerings).

I've learned to just offer varied veggies/fruits regularly and deal with the fact he's really just wanting a 100% insect diet. He did eat some green peas yesterday. Guess I lucked out.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My bearded dragon develops a syndrome where he simply cannot be bothered to walk when I am cleaning his enclosure. Like a pet rock. I have to physically lift and move him out of my way while I clean his enclosure (40 gallon, so lots of room for mess!). We make eye contact and I swear he gives me a smug look every time. Biggest brat ever. Like a teenager too busy on his smart phone or something. He's only active when he needs to poop.

Also:

"I love fresh organic mustard greens more than any other food in the world!"
Next day: "You insult me! I couldn't possibly eat mustard greens, why would you spend time chopping up this garbage for me to eat???"
(Rinse and repeat every other day with other veg/fruit offerings).

I've learned to just offer varied veggies/fruits regularly and deal with the fact he's really just wanting a 100% insect diet. He did eat some green peas yesterday. Guess I lucked out.
40 gallons of mess would not be pretty! The captive forms seem particularly inclined to spread their food around lol. From the photos, am I correct in guessing he's a leatherback?

Xenon is also fussy, he never eats the same plants 2 days in a row so he keeps our yard nice and tidy when he's let outside in the sun (supervised by me of course)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yes, leatherback. He was labeled with two names, a something leatherback (or a leatherback something) -- can't remember. He's smooth skinned, at any rate. lol
Love the name Xenon!
Mine is George, as in "I will name him George and I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...."

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I've never had cresties but I've kept Robust Velvet Geckos and they are just as fast, bolty and even more nervous so can relate lol
Picture an extremely feisty poecilatheria. Now increase its speed by 10% and agility by 50% and there you have it, a tiny little speed demon.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I had some agamas, unsure what species exactly. I left the cricket pen beside their tank one day, I came into the room because I heard this strange bumping, grinding noise. It was of course, the lizards running their faces into the glass trying to get to the crickets.

Same story with a fly that got into their tank. They were chasing it for hours since it would fly away every time they got close

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Here ya are...

IMG_5621.JPG

Jack, my Rosy Boa. These are such awesome snakes, probably one of the easiest species to keep in the hobby.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
So i had a search through the forums and couldn't find one already, and I know how hilarious our scaley friends can be so I just had to start this thread (if there is already one I missed, please delete or merge this one).

I'm gonna start off with one about my Beardie, Xenon.

So here he is, in his full lazy glory.

After a day of running through the garden and eating clover flowers in our lawn, he was asleep on my jumper which happened to be the exact same colour as he was. Come dinner time, he was fast asleep and nobody even realised he was sitting on my shoulder. Suddenly, a fly came past and landed right next to his face. Immediately awakening to the familiar sound, he launched right off my shoulder to catch the fly and landed smack bang in the middle of my only half eaten beef stroganoff. My mother and brother had a mild shock for about half a second. Then, after 5 seconds of silence and doing nothing but staring at my plate, my father let out a quick, high pitched scream of fright :rofl: we still talk about that night every now and then.

So that's my bit done. I'm sure there's many more stories waiting to be told, and I can't wait to hear them
I know this is probably wrong to alot of people but it's normal where I live.

I cooked up some snapping turtle for my wife's brother, and you gotta think, her entire family is from the city so they already think my family is a bunch of crazy hillbillies. (Which we are) :rofl: so he walks in and sits down at the table, and he's ready for some grub :D I give him his food and tell him what it is and he lost it! He was poking at it and taking pictures of the food asking if it was real... .. and they think I'm crazy :rofl:

Snapping turtles are very awesome creatures and they are really fun to catch! they are experts at escaping almost anything! The baby ones make really neat pets. Even if you don't eat them. I thought that would be interesting to let you all know. : )

Oh! And my uncle almost lost his thumb because they always said snapping turtles can't bite under water :rofl:

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
I had a rosy boa that I had found in the wild and kept for a few years before giving her away, but she pushed open the lid of her tank one day and escaped. I thought for sure she was gone, well I guess she was one lazy little girl because I found her that night curled up on my bed, asleep lol!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I cooked up some snapping turtle for my wife's brother, and you gotta think, her entire family is from the city so they already think my family is a bunch of crazy hillbillies. (Which we are) :rofl: so he walks in and sits down at the table, and he's ready for some grub :D I give him his food and tell him what it is and he lost it! He was poking at it and taking pictures of the food asking if it was real... .. and they think I'm crazy :rofl:
So what's it taste like?
Oh! And my uncle almost lost his thumb because they always said snapping turtles can't bite under water :rofl:
o_O How did they think snapping turtles eat?

Snapping turtles are awesome. Probably my third favorite turtle after alligator snappers and mata-matas.

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
My Timor monitor saw herself in the mirror and tilted her head like a dog. I don’t know if she recognized it as herself or not but it was adorable

That is like my biggest fear with my crested gecko. That she’ll climb somewhere like that lmao

Last edited by a moderator: