1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any cactus growers here?

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by Brian S, Jul 24, 2018.

1. WildSpider

WildSpider Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Advertisement
    Thank goodness I didn't raise it from seed. That probably would've been way worse. My sister gave it to me as a birthday present so that's bad but at least it was a more recent present.

One of my friends was making pretty good money shooting squirrels for $5 a tail before, lol. There's a lot of squirrels here.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. The Mantis Menagerie

The Mantis Menagerie Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    I grow some cacti. I currently have ten varieties of dragon fruit (Hylocerus sp.) including the yellow dragon fruit (H. megalanthus). I also have an Echinocactus. I want to eventually add Cereus peruviana, but I need a lot more greenhouse space for that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    I only have one cactus. I have no idea what species it is. The picture was taken last summer.
    20180606_172941-1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. HUNGRYBEASTS

HUNGRYBEASTS Arachnopeon

• Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  5. bugmankeith

bugmankeith Arachnoking Old Timer

I grow cactus, my speciality are Gymnocalycium Mihanovichii. I have various variegated specimens from around the World, some grown from seed by my own stock, and I grow those colorful grafted cacti which are actually the same species I mentioned above. I do have a few Astrophytum too.

Garden stores that sell cacti cheap like Lowe’s and Home Depot are great, cheap purchases. I like to nurse sick/neglected cacti back to health.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I had a huge intrests in cactus when i was younger. Had loads of them and cultivated them. I planted lots of seed and was successful. Had a Gymnocalycium sp thst i had for 25 years from seed. Now i have a Selenicereus grandiflorus that i have had for 25 years. It has flowered and everything! Cactus are great!

7. Vanisher

Here it is

Attached Files:

8. Vanisher

Better picture

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Vanisher

Thats a Ferocactus sp

• Like Like x 1
  10. sourpatchkid

sourpatchkid Arachnopeon

Not cactus per se, but I have about a dozen different varieties of jade.

11. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnobaron Active Member

USA

One last year, now six buds/blooms
    20190513_164859-1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    I just ordered peniocereus greggii, one plant and some seeds, looked kinda cool imo. N.A native and should be cold hardy.

13. BepopCola

BepopCola Arachnosquire Active Member

This plant looks very spooky, I love it!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  14. BepopCola

I found this mystery three-headed cactus on the side of the road when it was about 1/3 of its size. I potted it, and I've just left it outside for the most part. It's the first time I'd seen a cactus bloom.
    Pay no attention to the dead Sansevieria...:(

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    I got curious about that cactus, you think this might be it? Info says they are from Mex though. But there looks to be several varieties, or maybe seeds got loose. https://worldofsucculents.com/mammillaria-geminispina-twin-spined-cactus/

16. BepopCola

Sounds plausible. I lived about 10 minutes from the Mexico border when I found it. Someone could've brought it over possibly.
    Thank you for the ID!