Any big centipedes that DON'T burrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
Hi, I've been looking to get a centipede and all I can find are ones that burrow and you don't see EVER. Any good sized centipedes that look good and don't burrow? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thx,

Vinegaroonie

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
Hey I noticed you are interested in finding the right millipede and/or centipede from previous posts lately. I can't answer this question for centipedes but I can for millipedes. Chicobolus spinigerus, which is known as the Florida Ivory typically doesn't burrow as much as other species. I heard this from breeders and one of mine stayed on top of the substrate a lot. Good luck and I hope you can find the right myriapod!

Last edited:

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure which one yet, but yes, I do want a myriapod. Thank you, I'll look into that species.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Stick with the milis. Centipedes are nasty speed demons from hell. The nicest one I ever kept died a month ago and the other one is rampaging through my house (probably dead though) so yeah unless you feel like you are responsible enough to deal with the nastiest bite ever and risk death I would stick with the milis. Of my two years in centipede keeping I have learned to maneuver and not get tagged. You don't have that experience. Hell, getting them out of the delis into their cage for the first time is a pain in the bum.

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
Oh shush. I am responsible enough. I've been keeping a centipede now for a month and he's fine and well, it looks like YOU'RE the irresponsible one :p

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Your pede is a small as hell non painful American non speedy... I could go on for ever. Don't you call me irresponsible. Many of the most respected centipede breeders/keepers have had escapes. I dare you to say that to any of them. That's disrespectful. Don't go treading head first into the deep end. All because you caught an earth centipede doesn't mean a nine inch grinch is gonna be your pal. Not all pedes are created equal. I could compare this to someone owning a snake and instantly thinking they are ready for a venomous. Stick to the milis.

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
What if I say no? What if I just go and buy a centipede and post a pic of it right now?

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Well then your a new pede owner. I can't stop you. I gave my advice. You just gave two rude responses. Sorry if my opinion doesn't fancy you.

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
All I'm going to say is don't make a decision out of anger or to prove anything. Centipedes are beautiful but they are nasty. I personally would never ever own one. I am not ready for the commitment of having something that could escape and harm me, my family, and my other animal friends. Someone on here had one and there were weights on top of the enclosure and it still escaped. That makes me feel unsafe and I wouldn't want that. They also can't always be handled. Not to put centipedes or the owners down, all I am saying is they require extra attention and a lot of caution. I give a ton of credit to all the owners, as I know I could never do it. But there is nothing wrong with millipedes. They are such sweethearts and many stunning looking species. Just really make sure if you bring home a centipede you are 100% sure you are able to make that commitment and give it the life it really deserves to be happy and healthy. Having a millipede doesn't make you a wimp. Plenty of men have them, including my boyfriend.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
I am just going to add to MelissaDBrowns post, that when my scolopendra subspinipes beuty got escaped, the top was weighted down. Hell everytime I fed him he tried to get me. As much as I love centipedes I have NEVER suggested them to anyone as pets. I really love mine when they aren't hungry. But as soon as I go to feed them the love can sometimes turn to fear. Fear of getting bitten. Please don't buy a potentialy dangerous centipede just to spite me. That would make me feel horrible because if you did get bit and potentialy go to the ER I would feel horrible.

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
Lol sry, I'm not just going to go buy a centipede right now, don't worry. Imma wait a week, do a lot of research, and find the right tank. I never go into a new pet without being totally prepared.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
He needs to think for more than a week. He has to worry about more than himself. His family his animals his friends. An what if he gets bit and does go to the hospital? He then has a LARGE medical bill. Sorry if I came across as rude I just think that he needs some serious thought. Centipedes are not pets! They are zoological specimens! Nothing about them is pets related. Does your family know how dangerous these are?! They are not toys!

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
cantthinkofone is making some very valid points. On your profile it says you have a lot of animals. What if your centipede gets lose and gets to one of your pets? Imagine how horrible it would be to find one of them hurt if not dead. Also your family. Please don't put them in danger either. He is not trying to come off as rude, he is just telling you that these creatures are dangerous and can cause a lot of problems to you and your family. And you also can't give a deadline for making big decisions, especially a short amount of time like a week. I see you have a hamster. Lots of people feed their centipedes small pinky mice. If it got out I'm sure it would hurt your hamster thinking it's a food source. Just try to be realistic and see where we are coming from as owners, breeders, and researchers.

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
Everyone here is just trying to help you. I can sure say everyone has been helping me! If i'm correct you are pretty new to the hobby like me, so you should at least respect and think about their opinions, as they have much more experiance than you. Heck, we all are here for the same reson right? We all love pedes! Can't we just all get along?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To answer your original question. No every pede needs to borrow to stay happy. Now my advise.

Get yourself a nice tall, plastic jar with a screw on lid. The bigger the better. Maybe one of those cheese ball things you find at Sam's Club. Now go flip some rocks in the desert and find a polymorpha. This will allow you to see the speed and escapeablity that you will be responsible for. Now if you screw up and get bit, it will hurt but you should be fine.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Azjohn gives good advice. I don't think just hurt justifies a pede bite. I think 48 hours of burning hell and a small chance of death is the shortest nicest way to put it. All because their isn't many reported deaths doesn't justify calling it non lethal. For the longest time boomslangs were "non lethal"

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
Thank you azjohn, and cantthinkofone, I'm not talking to you. I am getting a centipede, that's final. I have been waiting a month if that helps.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I've caught a bunch of polymorpha and those aren't scary (to me) although I keep my distance from them...but they are amazing escape artists. How do you escape from a jar with a lid screwed on? Must have been through one of those small ventilation holes I poked in it. And this was a 4" pede too. They got out of closed bags when I shipped them, and out of the box too, which didn't have any cracks it looked they could fit through.

Now a large one I hear is much faster and much more dangerous...and much stronger too so don't think its size will keep it from escaping. Make sure you have a tall and very strong enclosure. Because if it escapes it could bite one of your family.

My parents would never let me get something like this (nor would I want to keep one) XD

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Well sorry for your stubbornness. I was simply suggesting stuff. Get something rare so when/if you get bit we get a new bite report.

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
Thank you, I'm 14 but I'm ready. I have researched pedes for years and I know what to do. Don't worry about my family, that's my job. I am coating the sides of the cage with petroleum jelly, so he cannot climb up. I will be using a plexiglass 7 gal tank setup. I will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.