1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Advice Please

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Ambereleanormae, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Ambereleanormae

Ambereleanormae Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Basically, ive had a red knee tarantula for almost a year, been fine all this time. But all of a sudden, now has a bald abdomen and is weak in the legs :( also im not sure where it's coming from but a brown/creamy liquid is appearing on the glass im not aure if its being spat or what :( and she wont even attempt to come out where as before shes been very active and on the go alot. PLEASE HELP ME :(

2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Upload a couple of pics of everything (spider; enclosure; set up; detail of that liquid you talked about), otherwise it's a bit hard, I'm sorry.

The so called 'bald abdomen' per se isn't a big deal issue with NW T's, anyway.

3. Ambereleanormae

I’ve cleaned the liquid up but thats the third lot today. when she does it again i’ll take a picture and attach it here x

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2018
  4. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

That enclosure is COMPLETELY inappropriate for that spider.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Enrgy

Enrgy Arachnosquire Active Member

probably fell and caused its injury. Also for future reference, @Ambereleanormae don’t trust care sheets or pet stores and if you have a question you can always use the search function or ask someone on here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. darkness975

darkness975 the sun grows ever darker Arachnosupporter

That enclosure is what happened to your tarantula. It fell and ruptured. It needs a significantly shorter substrate to top distance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Teal

Your tarantula is terrestrial - meaning they live on the ground. Your enclosure is for an arboreal - a spider that lives in trees.

If your spider fell, it could cause injury or death. The height from the substrate to the lid shouldn't be more than 1.5x the leg span of your spider.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ambereleanormae

:( :( :(

Im collecting a new home for her tomorrow.. im so upset that this has happened...

Thank you all for your help.

9. Keke713

Keke713 Arachnosquire Active Member

On another note, use coco fibre or top soil. Wood chips are not a good substrate for tarantulas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Demonclaws

Demonclaws Arachnosquire

I am guessing its poop for the liquid. Nevertheless, your setup should be significantly improved like others have suggested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

That enclosure, as pointed out, is an arboreal one...just the fact you have a climbing wall is crazy...the #1 priority of a terrestrial enclosure is to have it set up specifically to discourage climbing...yours encourages this dangerous act....like keeping a bottle of vodka in your kids car....lol....bound to go horribly wrong eventually.

That said, you can use the enclosure, it simply needs to be modified. Lay it on its back, so the door is now at the top....dam half of the top to hold sub....you can now add enough sub to make it safe.

Its typical though as pet stores love selling these to anyone they can...and hey, they do look nice....but they are also the most expensive housing available....cha ching for the pet stores.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnosquire Active Member

Also, don't use sponges in tarantula water dishes. Tarantulas drink water through their mouths and can't adequately suck moisture from a bacteria infested sponge. Just provide water in a dish at all times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Thekla

Thekla Arachnobaron Active Member

On top of what everyone has said before, it looks way too wet in there. They need a dry environment with just a water dish filled with just clear water and nothing else.

14. Ambereleanormae

She now has new everything. Not the enclosure i wanted but its safer than the last one.
    No sponge just a dish of water too.
    Thanks for all your advice. Shes been out today which is more than what she has been doing.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 2
  15. Teal

That enclosure is perfect! Good on ya for making the changes to help your spider :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TLSizzle

TLSizzle Arachnopeon

TX
    Lovely enclosure! Pretty T as well!

17. PhilMcWonder

PhilMcWonder Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas

I made the same mistake before.
    Housing tarantulas is a bit of an learning experience but once you learn what they need it becomes so much easier.
    That tall enclosure is perfect for Arboreal (Tree dwelling) species :) All is needs are "Trees" and plants like mine has Resized_20181205_110436.jpeg

Ignore the poop, I need to clean the glass again...

But yes, as I was saying...
    TALL cages work well fore tree dwellers BUT you need to make sure there is plenty of stuff to climb on.
    Arboreal like to climb, Terrestrials WILL climb but normally they like to burrow.
    BOTH types of tarantulas will explore their enclosures when housing/re-housing and may climb a lot during exploration.

Terrestrial = wide cage with 3 to 4 inches of substrate for burrowing.
    Arboreal = Tall cage with LOTS of stuff to climb on that reaches all the way up to the roof. 3 to 4 inches of substrate to soften the impact them if they fall down.

Arboreal cages are perfect for Avicularia (Pink toe Tarantulas).
    You can buy cork bark, branches, and fake plants at the pet store.
    Hold onto your arboreal cage if you want to get one :)

18. Ambereleanormae

Im going to look into the tree climbing ones but after this one is happy again. Im praying she’ll be okay.
    Im defo