Any advice on a feeder roach provider?

KYguy

Arachnopeon
Looking for a reliable & reputable feeder roach source, that sales both Dubia and Red Runner roaches. Any suggestions?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
They are both fairly easy to breed if that is an option.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your best bet for feeder roaches is to purchase enough adults to start a breeding colony, if you are permitted to keep them. It's much cheaper and easier in the long run than having to make repeated runs to the pet store every time you run out - or, worse, paying shipping.

They don't take up much space - mine are just in a Sterilite tub - and are easy to feed and care for. I just have old egg cartons in there for them to climb on/hide in, I drilled holes in the sides and lid for ventilation, and I feed them dry dog/cat food, vegetable scraps, and fruit. (They seem to particularly like oranges, cucumbers, romaine, spinach, and sweet potato. They are considerably less fond eggplant or regular potatoes.)

To get you started, there are people right here in the AB Classifieds who may be selling some. They are also readily available through many pet stores (both brick-and-mortar and online) and at most shows or expos.

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
From a local breeder or expo is definitely the best bet to save on shipping, but having said that I think the starters for my initial Dubia colony were from ABDragons. I swore off Red Runners forever after I had some escape and colonize my basement. I still find one of the little buggers once in a while :mad:

I've also had good luck with Cape Cod Roaches, although they ship through USPS instead of FedEx, which is not my preference. I used to have a Red Head Roach colony from them that I really liked as small feeders. Significantly less offensive than red runners. Cuter, too, if that matters.