Anxious Waiting Game

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am always nervous around molting time, fearing worst case scenario and thinking something catastrophic will happen.

This is my first Tarantula. Dont know her exact age, but shes over 20 years old by my estimates based on when I rescued her.

Hoping it goes well.

20180730_133725.jpg

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I am always nervous around molting time, fearing worst case scenario and thinking something catastrophic will happen.

This is my first Tarantula. Dont know her exact age, but shes over 20 years old by my estimates based on when I rescued her.

Hoping it goes well.

View attachment 282493
I’m the same hate it when they moult , one of mine has moulted at the weekend, found a leg and abit of the Carspace outside the hide , but haven’t seen her , I’m itching to move the webbing to see how she is . Do hope your little old lady is ok . Keep us posted on how she gets on .

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I’m the same hate it when they moult , one of mine has moulted at the weekend, found a leg and abit of the Carspace outside the hide , but haven’t seen her , I’m itching to move the webbing to see how she is . Do hope your little old lady is ok . Keep us posted on how she gets on .
Don't move the webbing , let her come out on her own. Not worth the risk of an injury to her.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Grats on successful molt, Grammastola sure are stocky Ts.
Wish there’s was a T stirmi sized of each genus, g pulchripes biggest?baddest Grammy?

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Grats on successful molt, Grammastola sure are stocky Ts.
Wish there’s was a T stirmi sized of each genus, g pulchripes biggest?baddest Grammy?
Actually I prefer not to venture that large. Or maybe it's just because of T. stirmi's setae. Maybe if a species didn't have the fire on earth setae but obtained that size I'd consider it.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I just KNOW I'm going to be doing this exact same dance during my first molt. Congratulations!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There a few larger, as larger and bulkier than pulchripes...iheringi and actaeon immediately come to mind.
Are both in the hobby? I heard of first one had no idea it was that big .
How large can they get 9”?
Lp is a lot smaller then the 10” dealers tried to sell it as like years ago, more like 7-8” average . If anything lasiodra just have bigger bodies then your average 6-8” T. My other females look stockier then my one in the biggest cage ha.
Only hassle is rehousing them .
Thanks , I’m really just scratching the surface so many Ts in the hobby .

My phampho is bigger and stockier then any of my Ts right now, dono about legspan hairs make them hard to measure.
I’ll probably get more old worlds first if I get any tho.

Actually I prefer not to venture that large. Or maybe it's just because of T. stirmi's setae. Maybe if a species didn't have the fire on earth setae but obtained that size I'd consider it.
Africa’s under constant wars so if there is anything bigger it’s not in the hobby . There are some 7-9” old worlds. Tho 9” is very rare, pokies as skinny but big.
King baboon & some haplos get big.
I plan on getting these at some point,my kb recently died bad molt.
My biggest is P ornata or striata.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wow that’s like insane , what type of feudal society, or serfdom. Has it become around here?
Surely will cause extinction to speed up, it seems laws haven’t stopped Tigers and sharks from nearing extinction.
R.I.P.
I might have heard about this once .
It will prenalize captive bread, and won’t stop deforestation & poaching killing wild ones.

Last edited:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
@cold blood is right on regarding G. iheringi. I got my girl as a juvie last year, she has molted twice in my care, and goes an easy 5 inches (12.7 cm) relaxed. I would highly suggest one!