Antilles pink toe..... YAWNING?!?!

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok i just coped a APT from my girlfriend for my birthday, still a very young sling.. only about mabey a inch and a half in length.. ive handled it with no problems.. its just somtimes. it will be walking around and both fangs with go oppositlly go up and down at the same time and then it will"yawn" with the the fangs straight out... mind you this is while the sling is walking around.. im not worried since its doing great and no started its nest at the top of the tank.. its just kinda weird .. any input would be cool.. im not really worried about anything, im just a little curious ... THANKS!!! o by the way... this is my 1st post..

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd guess it's just stretching. because Ts breathe through the book lungs on the underside of their abdomen, they can't yawn.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's likely either cleaning its fangs or its some kind of defensive response if you were handling it at the time that this happened. I agree, definitely not yawning as T's can't yawn the way we do.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen most of my spiders do this. I agree its probably stretching. they do it quite often but not when they are walking around.. but hey there are always the odd ones.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
when t's seperate there fangs it could be there bothered or might strike

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
was it rubbing them with it's pedipalps at the same time? mine do this sometimes...it's more impressive with a larger T ;)

I've never seen mine move theirs up and down as a defensive display...only when "grooming". Sometimes they will extend both fangs and leave them like that as a warning, usually coupled with a threat display with the front legs up (I remember my mature male A. metallica doing this once...definitely a "don't mess with me" look ).

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so scientific study has showed where they actually inhale but Ts exhale throught the book lung... i read this at TTKG by Shultz and Shultz

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My versicolor plays with its fangs a lot. It's about the same size, but I only handled it once when it scurried out of its jar and onto my hand. To me this behavior definitely sounds like fang cleaning or stretching. I'm almost positive I've seen mine do the same thing when it's just sitting there. Definitely not a threat posture in my opinion. I know my little blue-green ball of fuzz doesn't seem to exhibit that type of aggression :eek:

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the input you guys.. yea i kno the anatomy and i know that they dont "yawn" actually but thats the only way i could relate it.. it didnt seem like a defensive response since it would do it while its walking.. usally when they show a defensive stance there still right? lol trust me , i know when a stance is serious lol i learned the hard way when i was younger... but thanks alot you guys... you guys popped my first post response cherry lol.. i look foward from hearing from you guys on my future posts... kudos:clap: