Anticipated: Pic Thread & Discussion

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I have been asked by several people to show some of my reds etc...on a picture thread. I have not had much time, but am getting a camera semi worthy of hosting my buddies this evening and will update with pics tonight. In the meen time I have been asked what is and the difference in a Eyelash Gecko, New Caledonia Gecko, a RHACODACTYLUS CILIATUS etc...They are all one in the same. New Caledonia describes (where they are from), RHACODACTYLUS CILIATUS (scientific name) Generic name Rhacodactylus; Rhakos, meaning "spine" and Dactylus meaning "finger". Specific name, ciliatus: Cilia means "fringe" or "eyelash" and refers to the crest of skin over the animal's eyes resembeling an eyelash.

The following is a decent link to an intro to Geckos and information:http://www.bcbloodlines.com/CareSheets/Crested_Gecko_Care.pdf

I have also been asked about good information on Gecko health and the following link has several information and a great site:http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-16.html

Other questions have been on the anatomy of the gecko such as, "what are the holes on the side of the head"? The following is a link with a quick description of their parts:http://www.geckocare.net/anatomy.php

Hope this helps &
I look foward to updating with pics this evening.

Joe

Last edited:

BACKWOODS

Arachnopeon
Geckos

Thanks a lot Joe preety cool links you have been doing this for a while it seems and I cant wait to see the pics.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Red Pics

Dad molted not too long ago in this one and I will get pics of the female she is shedding....More pictures will follow........

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome!!

This information is very appericated Joe.
I have learned quite alot about these little goobers in just a short time!!
Thanks again bro{D
"DANNY"

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
No problem Danny and you asked about sexing so.....

This is some infor straight from PANGEA on sexing Crested Geckos especially young ones. Here is the link as well for pictures of pore sexing and info etc....http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm (scroll down to Sex Determination) It is very difficult with your little ones, but I am getting a little better after some years into it.

Determining the sex of crested geckos is easiest on geckos that are over 6 months old. Male crested geckos will develop a very noticeable hemipenal bulge just below the vent. The hemipenal bulge develops on males at between 5 months and 9 months old. Females do not develop a (BIG)bulge. The photos to the right show the difference between mature males and females.
Male

Sexing subadult crested geckos is considerably more difficult. Using a 10x or better jewelers loupe or magnifiying glass, you can look for evidence of pore development in the region just anterior to the vent. Pore development may be seen on males at 5-10 grams but sometimes the pores do not develop until later.

Last edited:

BACKWOODS

Arachnopeon
More Pics More Pics!

I demand more pics especialy the one I am getting your holding out on us Joe I know itlol .

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Redddddddddddddy To Rock!!!!!!!!!

Alright here we go finally a camera that does a little better for these beautiful Crested's......

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Now A little Orange anyone

Here is your girl (hopefully) first 2 Hope you like she has some killer pin stripping Eric;) Sorry you can't have my up and coming orange breeder though....is it me or is my hand on fire? One of the orangest I have seen!

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Lets Stick with Orange but cream....

Lets Stick with Orange but cream down a little with some pin striping

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Every one loves a blondie.

Everyone loves a blondie and a black and tan or olive cream pinstripe dalmation etc.........

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Set up ?'s

Many of my cages are hand constructed and I have been asked to show one so here you go....hope you like they might be a little too big and comfortable for them? Spoiled!!! Thanks for looking and please feel free to ask ?'s and show me your favorites.

God Bless,
Joe

BACKWOODS

Arachnopeon
wowzers!

Oh ma god look at those geckos I have no retinas left in my eyes!Awesome Joe keep up the good work I WILL INCLUDE A FREEEEEEEEEEBIE FOR YOU BRO!!!!!!! And are those nest boxes and what is in them?

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks & when....

Thanks and when you get the chance show me some of your newbie pics(Cresteds) from your local

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joe, you got some SWEET stuff there!! And thanks for the info too. Keep the pics coming.

David

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are my breeding pairs, as requested. These were all taken at 8:45am, so nobody is fired up. lol
Old pics of my big red male, Mango, actually fired up:

Pics of him this morning:

He is paired up with this female, Gator, who is yellow dalmation with a lot of tiger striping on her sides.

This is my other pair, both are olive-colored harlequins:
female, Fern:

male, Spark:

The male is lighter here

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Katy

Great pics & have you had any eggs yet from the red and yellow pair? How long have they been together? Can't wait to see the babies.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
David

Thanks, & I will get more coming every chance I get. Those are my favorite breeding projects Red, Orange, Pin, Blondie. If you have some pics I would love to see some of your geckos if you get the chance.

Joe

BACKWOODS

Arachnopeon
gecko madness

man seems like everyone has cresteds I should have some babys comeing and I have a baby and an super red line egg from Joe arriving soon thanks bro cant wait!

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm at work right now, and haven't uploaded any pics of my girl (well, technically the geckos all belong to my sister, but whatever), but here's the boy. He's a tiger, not sure on the color.

He loves digging more than he loves climbing (though he's got plenty to climb on)! This pic was taken right after my sister brought him home. He was a spur of the moment purchase, so this was a temporary enclosure. He has some problems with calcium deficiencies. the petstore my sister bought him from was feeding him only baby food- no vitamins or anything. Still, he's cute, and active.

I'll get some pics of the girl up tonight, when I get home. She's nothing spectacular, but all cresties are cute!

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pics & have you had any eggs yet from the red and yellow pair? How long have they been together? Can't wait to see the babies.
No, no eggs yet. The female only reached maturity this season and I just put her with the male about 2 weeks ago. I'll let you know.