anti wolf propoganda documentary on animal planet

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/dogs-best-friend/201405/documentary-presents-distorted-view-wolves

Damnit I know animal planet had turned to reality garbage for dumb people and pushed an anti snake and other non furry animal agenda but I'll didn't realize they were now going after wolves, this is disgusting.
People evolved to get away from nature, and were doing just that. It's a shame when such an "animal loving" society partakes in <edit> a population about extrememly important animals for an Eco system.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgVet09

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately, Animal Planet, along with the rest of the Discovery family is largely a joke now. Half of Animal Planet's programming is about Bigfoot and Chupacabras and all other manner of nonsense. It was a sad day when Discovery figured out that nonsensical <edit> gets better ratings than educational programming. Heck, Discovery led off Shark Week last year with a fake documentary about Megalodon still being alive. The wolf show is on another level though, because it's actually dangerous for a species that we've already pretty effectively decimated throughout most of their range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
...Wow. This is a sad day. And I thought Animal Planet liked animals!
More like Human Planet.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Huh? Not sure where the show got it's facts. Wolves are anything but super cunning apex predators. In fact they are coming back into Colorado slowly by way of Wyoming but they are extremely skittish and always have been. I cant even find a story of a wolf attack in the area. Why do people fear things they dont understand?

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Why do people fear things they dont understand?
Quite simply, because we dont understand it.

On a positive note, I highly suggest you watch, "How Wolves Change Rivers" on Youtube. Its only 5 minutes long, and shows how the wolf population is acutally changing river patterns for the better.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's called omniphobia. Fear of the unknown, unidentified or undescribed. Essentially, when there is insufficient information, we don't understand the information, or the information is misunderstood. The mind then generates it's own data, usually using the most prominent and powerful emotions, the foremost being fear. (Others being pain, restriction of movement, death, failure, ridicule, rejection and so on). Conclusions born of this mental process are the most difficult to overcome as rational thinking is forced to compete with the survival instincts.

Of note, the entertainment industry is quite aware of these phobias and uses them in nearly all of it's plots. The violent movies use fear, pain and death, melodramas use rejection, failure, ridicule and loneliness, and of course, Animal Planet and similar found that fear of the unknown, the potentially deadly, pain causing or shocking sells much better than scientifically presented facts which serve to dispel emotions.

The unknown, pain, and death are the commonest plot devices in entertainment. When exposed to them physiological functions take place, we inject ourselves with a shot of adrenaline and get high. More subtle are the release of various hormones which make us high in different ways. Rejection, loneliness, loss and so on. The phobias which trigger emotions that appeal to people who are in weak, strained or moribund states of mind, misery, disappointment, failure, rejection are also useful plot devices though they tend to appeal to a smaller audience.

Last edited:

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quite simply, because we dont understand it.

On a positive note, I highly suggest you watch, "How Wolves Change Rivers" on Youtube. Its only 5 minutes long, and shows how the wolf population is acutally changing river patterns for the better.
Interesting thanks! Ill look it up. I love me a good nature show.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Snark got that right imo! We usually replace what we don't understand with an exaggerated neg case scenario. If you're by yourself in a big house and hear a noise in a room, your imagination often places a serial killer in that room, a survival instinct to do so. Horror movies use our fear of death and even encourage people to have a fear of dying, it makes those movies better. If we weren't afraid to die we wouldn't have much interest in horror movies. I think it all encourages ignorance, it's a kind of propaganda and can be used to control societies/behavior. It's no conspiracy theory, some school classes are dedicated to it, it's called "marketing". It reminds me of this I randomly came across yesterday while looking up info on Zbigneiw Brzezinski http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_fear

The Snark

Old Timer
Snark got that right imo! We usually replace what we don't understand with an exaggerated neg case scenario. If you're by yourself in a big house and hear a noise in a room, your imagination often places a serial killer in that room, a survival instinct to do so. Horror movies use our fear of death and even encourage people to have a fear of dying, it makes those movies better. If we weren't afraid to die we wouldn't have much interest in horror movies. I think it all encourages ignorance, it's a kind of propaganda and can be used to control societies/behavior. It's no conspiracy theory, some school classes are dedicated to it, it's called "marketing". It reminds me of this I randomly came across yesterday while looking up info on Zbigneiw Brzezinski http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_fear
Kind of propaganda? Desert Storm. Marketing disinformation. The most dangerous drug (newspapers and media news) This story on wolves. The fear mongering to sell the war on Iraq to the American people. It's a degree above the best propaganda, commonly referred to as mass indoctrination. The majority of the American population still believes unquestioningly a book that clearly states the world is only 6000 years old. If you don't believe it's eternal pain beyond death.
The proof of the most effective propaganda is in it's litmus test: peoples refusal to even entertain the truth may be different than what they are told.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kind of propaganda? Desert Storm. Marketing disinformation. The most dangerous drug (newspapers and media news) This story on wolves. The fear mongering to sell the war on Iraq to the American people. It's a degree above the best propaganda, commonly referred to as mass indoctrination. The majority of the American population still believes unquestioningly a book that clearly states the world is only 6000 years old. If you don't believe it's eternal pain beyond death.
The proof of the most effective propaganda is in it's litmus test: peoples refusal to even entertain the truth may be different than what they are told.
Aaaaaaaannnndddd now we went political/religious.

Outta here.

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
But he's not wrong. Those are all excellent examples of the same irrational unscientific fear based psychology that leads people to fear and want to kill wolves, or snakes for that matter.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, some touchy examples, but touchy because of the point being made there. Like the wolf story, the more our emotions are played with, the more easily people are manipulated. It's so much easier to accept the thoughts of others than it is to think originally. A thought from outside our own thinking is an easy plant, the cliche, "power of suggestion" comes to mind. After we hear what somebody else says in a manipulating way that "sounds" like it makes sense, while not knowing all the facts and/or hiding facts, our thinking revolves around that suggestion and so there is little or no effort to come up with original thoughts. So then we're already headed down a bogus train of thought. We can get in the habit of questioning just about everything though, but I do think it takes work because of our social nature of wanting to fit in, we listen to see what other people are accepting, if other people accept it, we don't think, don't reconsider, often refuse to, just to join the team in order to feel like we fit in somewhere, the old classic example is the witch hunt.

The Snark

Old Timer
What is utterly amazing, so amazing it defies all logic and reason, is how many times this has gone full circle. Head back 2,400 years to some radical guy stomping around demanding 'THINK! Think for yourself! Stop listening to others and accepting that as the truth. Reason it out for yourself!.' And, of course, they caught him and forced him to drink poison.