ant nuptial flight (photos)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks!i collected a few freshly mated queens and hope to get some nice colonys started.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome stuff, and great pics man! I hope you get a nice big colony started soon.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOW so they were mating at ground level? Does this mean that it maybe possible to breed certain ant species in captivity without artifical enseminations?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome stuff, and great pics man! I hope you get a nice big colony started soon.
thanks alot man!got my fingers crossed

WOW so they were mating at ground level? Does this mean that it maybe possible to breed certain ant species in captivity without artifical enseminations?
to my knowledge i dont think anyone has ever bred ants in captivity.correct me if im wong but i dont think its possible.
think i may have figured out what genus this is.
possibly Prenolepis species

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I get that early Spring, then hoardes of them in late Summer. The air smells of lemons after.

What do these ants eat anyway?

Anh

Arachnopeon
nope, they meet up in the air and fall down thats all, the key thing is they need to fly really high which make it impossible to breed in captivity. Very few species can breed on the ground, thats because they are usually queenless species, wingless queen or have evolve breeding inside nest (argentina ants).