Ant Journal (Myrmica sp, Tetramorium immigrans)

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
Hi!

I recently decided to start a journal on my ant colonies here. This journal revolves around my two favorite colonies:

Myrmica sp (pinetorum?) (1 queen, 1 worker, 3 larvae, egg cluster)
Tetramorium immigrans/spE (1 queen, 30+ workers, large brood pile)

The Myrmica queen's first worker recently molted from her pupal stage a few days ago, and she still has some pale coloration (common with young ants). The species most likely is native to North America, which is nice (most antkeepers prefer to keep indigenous species). The Myrmica genus's species are often very similar, so identifying my species would be next to impossible. Judging from coloration, I'm calling my queen M. pinetorum.

My Tetramorium immigrans colony got its first worker in late summer, and has since grown in size. The species was originally referred to as a tramp variety of Tetramorium caespitum or Tetramorium sp. E, but it recently received its official name (T. immigrans).The species has colonies that grow extremely rapidly, and I'm expecting my colony to reach an eighty-worker mark by next year.

I'll try to update as much as possible.

Also, what should I name my ant colonies?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Very interesting journal! I want to start an ant colony soon. Is a bullet ant colony possible?

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
A bullet ant colony is possible, but NEVER BUY FOREIGN ANTS! Unlike many other invertebrate pets, it is illegal in the US to ship or carry ant reproductives (gamergates & queens) across state borders, and even worse to import them from outside of the country,. If you live outside of the US, its fine in most countries, but it is best to keep your own ants.

Where are you located? If you live in the US, some good beginner species (that are SUPER common in spring-fall) are Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tetramorium immigrans, Lasius neoniger/alienus, and Pheidole sp.

BTW, if you are in an area that allows importing ants, I'd definitely not recommend Paraponera. As a semi-claustral species, they aren't a good beginner species. The only easy-to-rear semi-claustral queen genus that I've raised so far is Myrmica.

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
I made an outworld for my Tetramorium, and they all moved into the straw connecting the tube to the outworld :(
I hope they move back, the only thing that I can see in the tube is one random worker.

Inverts4life1

Arachnosquire
I do wish I had Odontomachus, Pogonomyrmex, and Cephalotes colonies. These and Atta are my some of my favorite ant genera. I've come across 2 maybe 3 species of Pogos this past summer out ant collecting (I'll have to check when I eventually sort through the material) in CO. I'm now on the quest of trying to collect all the species in the genus.