ant id?

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi folks could anyone please id these ants for me? thanks.

toan

Attachments

kinetikx

Arachnopeon
They look a bit like Carpenter ants.

Where are you located, and are these local ants?

If they are carpenter ants and you wish to erradicate them... good luck. Carpenter ants are amazingly difficult to get rid of. I have outbreaks of them every summer and have to relocate my tarantulas and crickets to keep them from invading the room I keep my inverts in.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am positive that they are not a carpenter ant. It is hard to tell with a photograph, but they look very much like the southern fire ant (solenopsis xyloni).

kinetikx

Arachnopeon
The presence of the winged ants is thowing me a bit then. I'm not used to seeing so many in a fire ant nest.

I agree that identification from a photo is nearly useless.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
These are solenosps p. aka fire ants. The larger individuals with the bigger heads are the major workers and they use those large heads to break apart seeds and sometimes other desd insects. The winged individuals are called alates and are the reproductives. The ones I see look like males since they are smaller and have much smaller heads and are different colors. Males also look more wasp like while queen alates look more like s major workers with a larger body and thorax. They will embark on a nuptial flight soon when they all mate with each other. After that the males die and the queens begin founding their colonies individually.

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cool. Thx Mantisfan. It's coming to that time of year where there are many nuptial flights. I'm thinking of starting a harvester colony soon. should be fun. =)

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
cool. Thx Mantisfan. It's coming to that time of year where there are many nuptial flights. I'm thinking of starting a harvester colony soon. should be fun. =)
That’s a good species to start with. If you need help stop by the ant keeping forum formiculture.com!

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cool! The interwebs has change since my days of bugging 10 years ago.