Ant id 2

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Maybe C. noveboracensis? Only carpenter ant in North America with a reddish mesosoma and black head and gaster that I can think of. Are you near a forested area?

Jerry

Arachnobaron
No but it was caught at work and I work at a sawmill

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I have kida gone ant crazy and am really hoping to find a queen and start a colony

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ants Canada has everything you need to be successful with ant keeping, also check out his YouTube channel.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I've been watching a lot of his videos there awesome

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Maybe C. noveboracensis? Only carpenter ant in North America with a reddish mesosoma and black head and gaster that I can think of. Are you near a forested area?
There's actually several species that can have that color scheme, including C. chromaoides, C. herculeanus and the smaller Myrmentoma- subgenus species such as C. nearcticus. This one looks like a Myrmentoma.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
There's actually several species that can have that color scheme, including C. chromaoides, C. herculeanus and the smaller Myrmentoma- subgenus species such as C. nearcticus. This one looks like a Myrmentoma.
I was thinking of herculeanus, actually, but I thought it was primarily boreal (then again, if we're talking imported wood, could be anything, I guess).