Ant formicarium for isopods?

Chimera

Arachnosquire
So I really love the look of isopods, but I want a pet I can see pretty much all the time. As they are burrowers that eat their substrate, I initially ruled them out. However, I recently came across a site that builds ant habitats- http://www.antscanada.com/. In their FAQ, they say, "Our formicaria are designed to mimic sub terrestrial habitats, so feel free to use our formicaria for your terrestrial spiders, beetles, larvae, worms, sow bugs, millipedes, centipedes, and all other insect pets you may adopt from under a rock outside."

To give you guys an idea of what their habitats look like, I'll attach pictures. What I'm wondering is could this sort of habitat by modified to become an isopod home? Could I just put the substrate in the "outworld", and maybe a bit in each chamber as well? I would be really excited if I could make this work!

Here are some examples of what AntsCanada has for sale:

Attachments

Vladaz1

Arachnopeon
For my 5 years of experience I have never successfuly used ant out world or formacrium for isopods because they are designed for ants and and don't have some needs but it might work it just always failed for me:(

Chimera

Arachnosquire
For my 5 years of experience I have never successfuly used ant out world or formacrium for isopods because they are designed for ants and and don't have some needs but it might work it just always failed for me:(
Thanks for your input. It would be really cool if I could make it work, but it's probably just not the best habitat for isopods and the animals always come first!

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
So, both millipedes and isopods like a lot of the same habitat. Deep substrate, lots of wood and leaf litter, and fruit/vegetables from time to time. Isopods often bury themselves in the substrate to molt and most like to be able burrow at least an inch or two. I recommend a small clear tank or a plastic, locking lid shoe box for both millipedes and isopods. If you want LARGE numbers of either you will need to upgrade the size of the container but especially with isopods you should be just fine in a plastic shoe box with a locking lid. If you would like info on beginner isopod species, feel free to message me!

Chimera

Arachnosquire
So, both millipedes and isopods like a lot of the same habitat. Deep substrate, lots of wood and leaf litter, and fruit/vegetables from time to time. Isopods often bury themselves in the substrate to molt and most like to be able burrow at least an inch or two. I recommend a small clear tank or a plastic, locking lid shoe box for both millipedes and isopods. If you want LARGE numbers of either you will need to upgrade the size of the container but especially with isopods you should be just fine in a plastic shoe box with a locking lid. If you would like info on beginner isopod species, feel free to message me!
Okay, thank you! I am actually currently reading Orin's isopod book, and it's very interesting :) I think I would like to get some isopods sometime, but I ended up getting whip spiders (due to an unexpected financial windfall). I don't want to try too much at once, but my interest in the "potato bugs" that fascinated me as a kid remains! :D

coniontises

Arachnosquire
Many isopods are synanthropes and can reach astounding population densities in certain habitats, so lack of money should not be an issue =)

Barababa

Arachnopeon
I'm actually '''''''''using'''''''''' an old ant formicarium from Ants Canada for my isopods. the tubes and the small tunnel parts tend to be a bit too small. but using just the large open segments where it's just a big hard plastic "room" seems to work perfectly for me. View attachment 463509