Another Vinegaroon Behavior Thread

nuck

Arachnopeon
So when I had my plastic pot tray in the enclosure to provide a nice little hiding spot for my vinny, she would hide all day only coming out at night when I turned all lights off. After a while I took it out to see how she would react not having her hiding spot. She would then crawl up this driftwood I placed in there and would just chill on it all day, even when I had replaced the pot tray with water bottles (so I could observe her when she would hide) she would still stay in the same spot on the driftwood, out in the open daylight. This made me a little sad as it kind of gave off the impression that she wanted to be eaten? So I placed her pot tray back in and unsurprisingly she went back inside it and will probably not come out until tonight.

What I am trying to ask is, why the hell was she just chilling on this driftwood in the open like that? Even when I opened the cage and nudged her abdomen, she kind of just didn't care; whereas when the tray was in there, she would instantly dart into her hidey spot when she felt me opening the enclosure lid.

Was she stressed? I mean, she could have just burrowed under the driftwood or something, but she did not.. I know why she's skittish, and it's because one of her antennae legs was broken off during shipping I'm assuming (bought her at a local petshop), but she was the complete opposite when she had no where to hide.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To her, the water bottle probably didn't even register as a potential hide because it allows too much light through. She would feel just as exposed inside it as outside. I am surprised that she didn't attempt to burrow or hide under the driftwood. What kind of substrate are you using? And how deep is it? Perhaps she did not like the substrate, so was attempting to camouflage herself against the wood? Or she was just holding still to avoid attracting the attention of potential predators, because she did not feel like there was anywhere to hide?

nuck

Arachnopeon
To her, the water bottle probably didn't even register as a potential hide because it allows too much light through. She would feel just as exposed inside it as outside. I am surprised that she didn't attempt to burrow or hide under the driftwood. What kind of substrate are you using? And how deep is it? Perhaps she did not like the substrate, so was attempting to camouflage herself against the wood? Or she was just holding still to avoid attracting the attention of potential predators, because she did not feel like there was anywhere to hide?
It's coco coir, I'm planning on mixing with baked sand to help burrowing structure. It's at least 6" deep, which allows for plenty burrowing space.