1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another noob question

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Zachary Bissinger, Feb 10, 2019 at 8:26 PM.

1. Zachary Bissinger

Zachary Bissinger Arachnopeon

Ny
    Advertisement
    Sorry for another question about "is the tarantula in pre moult?" Question. I have this Monocentropus balfouri sling and it ate for a few meals then has not ate in 2 weeks I think. It's not very active but it is still able to climb walls and all. No matter what size prey or if it is alive or not; it just ignores them. It is webbing more. However, the tarantula doesn't look fat or big boned enough to be in premolt.. sorry for the bad pic. The tarantula is either there or in it's hole most of the time.

Attached Files:

2. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnoknight Active Member

Ohio
    I have no xp with the species but I have had t's in premolt stop eating before they looked like they were in premolt. 2 weeks is no reason to freak out. Could be in premolt or just not hungry

3. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

You're keeping it way too moist, even slings of this species should be kept predominantly dry.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I can't imagine why you are keeping an OW species in that setup. You must be extremely confident......

I've raised these, and I cannot fathom why you have coco fiber that looks moist enough for a salamander.

Also, why is the sub so tall relative to the box?

Why did you give it so little room, esp an OW which are fast.

I don't have any impression that you did any relevant amount of research at all.

The water dish ( a good thing ), takes up too much space because your container is too small.

At a minimum drop that T into a 16 oz deli cup instead.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

After all these years you cant fathom why beginners make mistakes? Seems pretty obvious, inexperience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

premolt signs, not eating (bad method), balding (bad method), lethargic (bad method), darkening (good enough). if your T shows these symptoms you might have premolt. Also I would advise a larger enclosure since the water dish takes up basically half the space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnoknight Active Member

Ohio
    Man. People come on here for help. There isn't any good reason to be so abrasive to new folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. viper69

Beginners make mistakes of course.

What I’ve never understood is why many beginners don’t do the proper amount of research before purchasing an exotic animal.

When I had my first OW it was obvious I should give it more space than my terrestrials.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. CJJon

CJJon Arachnosquire Active Member

I am not sure this is so obvious. Cold you elaborate please? Do you mean that you should give more room to OW species so they don't associate the entire enclosure as their hide but rather are able to build a hide within the enclosure to retreat to?

Maybe we can turn this into a teaching moment rather than a bitch session. :happy:

10. viper69

It made incredibly good common sense to me that a species or group in this case, which are notably much faster with much stronger venom should be given a larger setup than a NW so they feel more secure, and thus less likely to bolt etc.

Your comment on enclosure is a good one, but doesn’t always apply. Some Ts, NW and OW will take over the entire container as their home given time, some don’t.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnobaron Old Timer

I w
    I would give it a little larger enclosure and a corkbarkretreat. The ammount of sub is good. Often i see people keeping tarantulas on to little substrate! But an enclosure around the double size i think is good! And yes, slightly moist substrate. Your is to moist

12. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

The substrate for an African (or African Island) species should be pretty much bone dry. Also cross ventilation will really help cut down on excess potentially dangerous moisture. Those acrylic containers are ridiculously easy to drill holes into.

13. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron Active Member

Don't worry, the picture is clear enough :)

I just wonder what is in the enclosure next to your M. balfouri's. It looks very damp in there as well. Perhaps it could use some tuning and we are glad to help!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Premolt or no premolt, I want to make it very, very clear: There is little chance your M. balfouri is going to survive in that enclosure. They are extremely sensitive to excess moisture, so get them into something MUCH drier and fast. Furthermore, they aren't really burrowers, if that's the reason you used the setup you did. The are terrestrial webbers and need terrestrial space. They will usually burrow a bit, but nowhere near the amount a specialized burrower does.